A little ride on my 250

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
davegsx

A little ride on my 250

Post by davegsx »

I took my bike out for a ride, the brakes started to sqeech if you look at the video you will hear it , is this normal?

http://youtu.be/PczVSOEzVjQ
Rob Harknett

Re: A little ride on my 250

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ignore the noise, quite often the brakes wont even work after a lay up. So riding with brakes slightly on is needed, until they start to bite. The same may work to stop the squeaking, to clean up linings a bit and get rid of rust on the drums. You could dismantle and clean, but next week when the bike comes out again rust has returned.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Nice video.. Where was the camera mounted?? + your choke looked like it was half on all the time and was the ignition on emergency, with the switch pointing that way my model 8 would on emergency ignition??

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Dave, what a good film, I enjoyed the ride round the houses.
As Rob says, now't to worry about very normal indeed. I have squeaks on my anchors to start, it is often worse when it's cool/damp in the air weather conditions.

Now we all know where you live, Big Bro will be round for tea :lol:
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
davegsx

Post by davegsx »

Ozmadman wrote:Nice video.. Where was the camera mounted?? + your choke looked like it was half on all the time and was the ignition on emergency, with the switch pointing that way my model 8 would on emergency ignition??

Paul
It was a heath Robinson set up, I could not find my bike mount so I used insulation tape and taped it to my chest, it is a small Kodak HD Zx1, works very well. The ignition was on I the other side is E so i presume that E is emergency is that correct? The choke is a bit of a mystery if you push it the other way the choke is on i have to leave it that way and the choke slide then is all the way to the top of the carb. Not sure if this is right or not, Anyone ???
davegsx

Post by davegsx »

saltbox alf wrote:Dave, what a good film, I enjoyed the ride round the houses.
As Rob says, now't to worry about very normal indeed. I have squeaks on my anchors to start, it is often worse when it's cool/damp in the air weather conditions.

Now we all know where you live, Big Bro will be round for tea :lol:
Thank you for the comments. It's nice to have help and reassurance that i am doing it right.
If you can find me your welcome to a cup of tea. LOL.
Glad I don't have to worry about the brakes, but i will take the wheel off and have a look. The back brake is very strong the front is a bit weak in comparison.
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

It's a good idea to check the brake anyway, there is always the possibility that the shoes could be worn.
If in doubt check it out!
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

If the front brake is weak cleaning may help.
But I have had brand new linings and the brake not work hardly at all. They do take a bit of bedding in, just a few short runs is no good. Ride with brakes on to bed them in or clean them of mist, dampness, muck etc.
Choke slid. Open the throttle wide open, check the slide is all the way down when the lever is fully on choke, now check the choke slide goes all the way up, for running when the bike has warmed up a bit. The slide should not stick and have full movement up & down. If not fully down check sticking and spring, if not fully up and you have the correct cable, take up any slack on the cable adjuster at the top of the carb.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Brakes. Assuming the cable front or rod rear is adjusted correctly. A visual check for wear can be made.
look at the levers on the drum. The angle should be more than 90 degrees. If less than 90, the linnigs could be worn, OR, you need to pack them out, do this by putting a shim washer on the " mushroom " stem, which will open up the lining dia. You will then find you will need to slacken adjustments to rod or cable. The packing makes a lot more adjustment available, not so much packing that brakes bind though.
davegsx

Post by davegsx »

Thanks Rob, I took the front wheel off, now I have no reference to how much lining should be on the shoes, If you look at the pictures are these ok?

thank you