rear wheel bearings

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Thomasm

rear wheel bearings

Post by Thomasm »

Hi all. A basic question but I dont want to make mistakes. How dos the rear wheel bearings come out? I have removed the speedo drive and there is a ring with two notches in it. Im guessing I need a c spaner to undo this. On the drum side there is thr bearing. im sure this is very straight forward but I just havent done this . Any help appreciated
Rob Harknett

Re: rear wheel bearings

Post by Rob Harknett »

Much easier to refer to your manual and parts list, you can read and see parts before you start the job, know just what you are looking for etc..
If you then get problems please ask. In particular replacing that speedo drive.
Ozmadman

Re: rear wheel bearings

Post by Ozmadman »

Thomasm wrote:Hi all. A basic question but I dont want to make mistakes. How dos the rear wheel bearings come out? I have removed the speedo drive and there is a ring with two notches in it. Im guessing I need a c spaner to undo this. On the drum side there is thr bearing. im sure this is very straight forward but I just havent done this . Any help appreciated
I have just done mine, well removed the axle to put it back the correct way round. The speedo drive should pull off complete (I wouldn't take it apart if I were you). The part on the hub with the two notches in to take the speedo drive part with the two lugs on remains on the hub, you don't need to remove this to do the bearings. Once you remove the drive you will see a spacer which just pulls off as well. Put a nut on the axle and tap it with a hammer and the axle will come out with one bearing attached, the other bearing will stay in the hub so just knock it out as normal as they are just a press fit in the hub and on the axle. The original bearings had a seal and seal ring but the modern ones like mine are sealed bearings. When you put them back just tap them back in flush with the axle. Easy peesy, but make a note of which way the axle comes out as it is different each end, the "longer" side goes towards the speedo drive.

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed