new first time ajs owner

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
dansofield550

new first time ajs owner

Post by dansofield550 »

Hello I've just acquired a model14 that's been used as a trials bike in general
It's not to bad to look at, however it does need some work on the gearbox, when I tried to move the kickstart
It felt stiff and would turn the crank over but on the return of the kick start it wouldn't release and would move the crank backwards!
I've removed the outer gearbox cover and noticed metal fragments in the oil dregs, is there a particular part that is the likely culprit? Not had the chance for dismantle it all as yet.

The bike has a late csr engine 14000 plus engine number and the gear box is also a later one I think as it has a washer and wire clip on the kickstart shaft.

Many thanks Dan
Last edited by dansofield550 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ozmadman

Re: new first time ajs owner

Post by Ozmadman »

Hi, welcome to the forum, it's hard to tell what is wrong with your gearbox until you take it apart but probably the kick start quadrant or main shaft bearing is knackered which could have possibly damaged the housing(hence the metal particles), not the one you have taken off but the next thin section behind that (if you take that off beware as all the gears will be exposed and possibly drop out) have a look at this article on gearbox repair. But once sorted(as the gears are all at the top) MAKE SURE YOU FILL IT RIGHT UP TO THE BOTTOM OF THE INSPECTION PLATE with 3 pints of oil otherwise you will muller the box, probably the reason it is like this now.

http://archives.jampot.dk/Technical/Tra ... ebuild.pdf

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
dansofield550

Post by dansofield550 »

Thanks madman, I've downloaded that guide, hopefully I'll get time next week to have a look. On a different matter , I have a wipac alternator it has three wires, orange ish red, white and mid green, will this be a single phase or tthree?
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

dansofield550 wrote:Thanks madman, I've downloaded that guide, hopefully I'll get time next week to have a look. On a different matter , I have a wipac alternator it has three wires, orange ish red, white and mid green, will this be a single phase or tthree?
Must admit I am hopeless with electrical stuff so maybe someone else can assist. Mine is the same as yours, works ok so no worries for me UNTIL IT GOES WRONG.. then I will be on here like a shot!! best of luck, someone will come to your aid I am sure.

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
dansofield550

Post by dansofield550 »

Found out the gearbox problem, it seem the bearing on the end of the main shaft has destroyed itself, would anybody be able to tell me the sizes of this so I can order a new one? Thanks Dan
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

dansofield550 wrote:Found out the gearbox problem, it seem the bearing on the end of the main shaft has destroyed itself, would anybody be able to tell me the sizes of this so I can order a new one? Thanks Dan
Part number 012545 £15.55 from the club here

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
Janet

Post by Janet »

dansofield550 wrote:Found out the gearbox problem, it seem the bearing on the end of the main shaft has destroyed itself, would anybody be able to tell me the sizes of this so I can order a new one? Thanks Dan
Warning! Blatant advertising of the club following.

I suggest the before you start spending money you try to find out all the parts you will need and cost them up. You may find in the long run that it will be cheaper to join the club and pay the additional annual £10 for the spares scheme discount which is, I believe, 10% on most things. It's surprising how fast the odd little costs tot up and, in case you're thinking of joining the club anyway, you'll get the benefits sooner.
dansofield550

Post by dansofield550 »

yes i did wonder about joining, but know nothing of the club, im a member of the vmcc(i have to be to go racing) ,

today i think i need a stater , the one on the bike when tested goes to ground on all three wires so guess its kippered!, has anybody fitter the high output wassell type? i think theyre for lucas replacement and mine wipac. also seem to need the later timing side cover , mine is plain with no badge etc, the way i've read other posts this means its an early one and would rub?

today fin is also an engine drain plug glued in! now fixed (tappped out a size bigger)

also tried working out the wiring, gave up on that one, reckon its easier to pull it all off.

what fun, given myself two weeks to get it built!
Janet

Post by Janet »

dansofield550 wrote: seem to need the later timing side cover , mine is plain with no badge etc, the way i've read other posts this means its an early one and would rub?
Please excuse my ignorance but I don't know what you mean by timing side cover. The cover on the rhs as sitting on the bike only has the adv/retard unit moving in it's own housing behind it. The lhs one has the alternator, chains and clutch. a G2/M14CSR has the G5/M8 (ie 350cc) clutch with extra plates so does need the deeper cover or, as you say, it will rub.
dansofield550

Post by dansofield550 »

thats it my mistake i meant the left hand cover!,