Footpeg position

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
boyd

Footpeg position

Post by boyd »

Hello, I have just registered with the club and I am currently awaiting the arrival of a 1961 AJS model 14, I have been looking at pictures and comparing it to some pictures of other bikes and the foot pegs appear to be very far back, are they adjustable? They appear to be almost under the kick start shaft instead of under the gear shift shaft. Hoping this hasn't been set up for a giant!
cbranni

Re: Footpeg position

Post by cbranni »

Footrests have a square hole which fits onto a square rod so you simply remove the fixing nut and footrest and place the footrest in the forward position, it may be in its present postion for a reason, it could be bent so fouling on the gearbox, if this is the case it needs to be heated and straightened.
Welcome to the club
Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
boyd

Post by boyd »

Thanks Colin, glad to hear they can be moved, I'd have needed size 16 feet!
Janet

Post by Janet »

My footrests are splined.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Janet wrote:My footrests are splined.
So are mine and they are bent, can I straighten them without taking the rubbers off cos I can' get them off and they are in good condition and I don't want to ruin them???

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Colin F

Post by Colin F »

Ozmadman wrote:
So are mine and they are bent, can I straighten them without taking the rubbers off cos I can' get them off and they are in good condition and I don't want to ruin them???

Paul
Have you tried forcing a small screwdriver etc between the rubber and the bar then squirting WD40 or similar in, this will normally lubricate them enough to get them off. It might need 2 or 3 applications for it to free it.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Colin F wrote:
Ozmadman wrote:

Paul
Have you tried forcing a small screwdriver etc between the rubber and the bar then squirting WD40 or similar in, this will normally lubricate them enough to get them off. It might need 2 or 3 applications for it to free it.
It's a shame Paul's footrest rubbers aren't modified* like mine. Then he could have squirted the lubricant in from both ends. :rofl:

*ie, ground off.
Colin F

Post by Colin F »

Janet wrote: It's a shame Paul's footrest rubbers aren't modified* like mine. Then he could have squirted the lubricant in from both ends. :rofl:

*ie, ground off.
What have we told you about doing "the wall of death" round those hairpins going up those Yorkshire "mountains! :rofl:
Janet

Post by Janet »

Colin F wrote:
Janet wrote: It's a shame Paul's footrest rubbers aren't modified* like mine. Then he could have squirted the lubricant in from both ends. :rofl:

*ie, ground off.
What have we told you about doing "the wall of death" round those hairpins going up those Yorkshire "mountains! :rofl:
I Think the advice has always been "Don't do it, you know your propensity for falling off." They're not wrong, you know. :oops:
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Ozmadman wrote: So are mine and they are bent, can I straighten them without taking the rubbers off cos I can' get them off and they are in good condition and I don't want to ruin them???
Paul, it's no good trying to remove the rubber by pulling at the outer (closed end) of the rubber as pulling that end will cause the rubber to stretch/contract and grip the steel inner rod even tighter.
FWIW I open my (big, solid) engineer's vice jaws a fraction wider than the bare steel part of the footrest arm, then place the footrest vertically into the gap in the jaws so that it drops down until the jaws prevent the rubber passing through. Warm the rubber with a hot air blower and arrange a lever device (piece of wood or steel rod attached to Mole grips clamped onto the bare steel footrest bit) with which you can lever the bare steel bit (which is below the vice jaws) against the underside of the bench to draw the steel part downwards, finally dropping out of the rubber.
It may have been fitted using Evo-Stick or some such adhesive so some warming will help a lot.
Or cut 'em off and get a new pair for a tenner.
If you don't have a fly press or a sufficiently solid place in t' shed to hold the footrest whilst you straighten it, place it between the bars of the nearest road drain and slip a length of tube over the, now de-rubbered, end and bend it according to taste ;). I've always/frequently straightened mine cold but heat would probably help.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'