Chrome Tank strip

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Rob Harknett

Re: Chrome Tank strip

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ah, it was someone else that had the tank and no seam, my mistake.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

My mistake as well Rob :oops:
only dead fish go with the flow
boyd

Post by boyd »

The chrome strip has arrived and after reading a few threads about the difficultly in removing the tank. I'm thinking of running a good thick bead of silicone down the the tank seam and attaching it this way with the ends trimmed and folded into position at either end. I figure this will avoid scratching the paint with the sharp edges and the hassle of removing the tank. I know this seems lazy but the pros are outweighing the cons at this stage. Any recommendations?
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

boyd wrote:The chrome strip has arrived and after reading a few threads about the difficultly in removing the tank. I'm thinking of running a good thick bead of silicone down the the tank seam I figure this will avoid scratching the paint with the sharp edges and the hassle of removing the tank. Any recommendations?
yes, remove the tank!!! It's a doddle, take the pipes off both petrol taps, remove the two bolts at the front, loosen the nut at the back as far is it will go and turn the stud about at bit until you can lift the back of the tank and that's it.. mine has been off and on more times than enough, it's no bother really. i can even do it now without removing the seat which IF you have to is simple as well, like the silicon idea though!!!

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Silicone isn't a bad idea at all as it helps to stop resonance of the strip against the tank (which believe me can and will drive you mad, it did on my Twin). :headbang:
Malleon

Post by Malleon »

I have wondered what the cause was..... Now I know!
boyd

Post by boyd »

Ok I'll do both!! Not a fan of the rattles and buzzing!! Tell me, is that another man from down under ozmadman?
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

No unfortunately not!!! OZ is my favourite place , hence the name, and I would love to live there but no chance, their rules are to strict and anyway I am too old, they don't really want people over 45 yrs old.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

45 yrs old limit.
when I was a boy you could go to Aus for nicking 3 hap'th of apples, or was that hanging. Gad sir the memory fails me!! :rofl:
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
boyd

Post by boyd »

Very true!! I came to visit Galway for a long weekend....12 years later I'm still here!!
Chrome strip is fitted, looks great. No buzzing thanks to the silicone. I found two unused wires coming off the loom, when I had the tank off, anyone else noticed these?
Thanks again for advice.