gearbox seal

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
dansofield550

gearbox seal

Post by dansofield550 »

Hello having done few hundred miles on the bike I seem to be leaking more and more from what I guess is the main seal behind the front sprocket, is there a single part number 041267 for all gearbox numbers? Would anyone happen to know the sizes of the seal as I have large amount of seals at work. Thanks inadvance Dan
Ozmadman

Re: gearbox seal

Post by Ozmadman »

dansofield550 wrote:Hello having done few hundred miles on the bike I seem to be leaking more and more from what I guess is the main seal behind the front sprocket, is there a single part number 041267 for all gearbox numbers? Would anyone happen to know the sizes of the seal as I have large amount of seals at work. Thanks in advance Dan
Hi I have my box out at the moment and am in the process of a re-build so I have just done my oil seal. As best as I can measure the O/D is 1 and 25/32" the inside is 1 and 9/32" and it is 1/4" deep. TBH in my opinion I would just buy the correct one as it is a lot of work to do twice for the sake of a £4 seal if you get it wrong, and yes they are all the same. Just an added thing to check.. when you expose the sprocket area, you will see two small core plugs, one partly behind the sprocket teeth and the other over to the right, these cover the ends of the layshaft and gear selector shafts and are prone to leaking AND despite the fact they look the same they are slightly different sizes and are hard to get (well one of them is anyway) If they are leaking then an easy fix which stops you from having to try to get them out from the outside etc is to clean the area thoroughly with petrol or white spirit then get a product called JB Weld(the two part mix one in two tubes, not the putty type) mix it up as per instructions, make sure the area is totally dry and then smear this into the join around the edge of the plug. This stuff sets like concrete (leave it about 24 hours to make sure)and is almost everything resistant and will stop any leak there. Good luck

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
dansofield550

Post by dansofield550 »

Thanks for that Paul, got the gearbox out and my seal has an od 1.812" and id of 1.312" by .250" thick. New seal fitted and box back in last night, 12 miles later mo oil on the floor anymore! Job done, only a few drops of oil from the chain case I think it coming from the hole for the clutch / main shaft hole in the chain case as the oil was black and I purposely put old oil in to help differentiate between gearbox and chain case, the felt seal was rather ropey looking, but a few drips I can live with!
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

dansofield550 wrote:a few drips I can live with!
Ah, so you've been along to a section clubnight then?
;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

"Ah, so you've been along to a section clubnight then?
;)"

:shock: You're such a "cheeky boy" Nev! :rofl:
dansofield550

Post by dansofield550 »

I wouldn't mind popping along to my local one , from what I've read its at the Portobello pub west kingsdown not far from my home, I'm not a member though, I am a memberof the vmcc, I have to be to be able to race in the bhr. I never been to a club meet with vmcc either , not really a club person to be honest, more into riding, managed nearly 250 miles since mot now an hope to make the whole winter ridable thanks to the knobblys