new piston wont fit

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Phamiltoneddy

Re: new piston wont fit

Post by Phamiltoneddy »

I had the same problem with the GPM No. 6914 piston I fitted to my G2CSR. Because the piston came from a reliable source (Amoc Spares), I assumed I must be doing something wrong. A post on this website produced a response from ITMA who confirmed my growing suspicion that the problem lay with the piston. I had 6mm machined off the piston skirt and all was well.
spitfire

Post by spitfire »

desaxe is indeed the term for this sort of engine layout. if it were me I would get on to the spares scheme about this. why should you buy a brand new piston and then have to machine it to fit?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

It looks as though when the scalloped section of the skirt was machined the piston was inserted into the jig 180 degrees out of the correct orientation.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
dansofield550

Post by dansofield550 »

Pretty much my assumption spriddler
Janet

Post by Janet »

I bought a piston from JSL for my G2CSR ( 3 months before I found out I owned it as Glyn asked if I would get one, confusing me somewhat) and I hadn't heard of any problems with fitting it and certainly none since I've run it.
dansofield550

Post by dansofield550 »

found out today i should have had a note explaining that the pistons(a batch of hundreds) were indeed made wrong, a few moments on the lathe and its now sorted out.
Janet

Post by Janet »

It's good that you're sorted but would be a problem for anyone without the equipment or skill to fix it.
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

dansofield550 wrote:found out today i should have had a note explaining that the pistons(a batch of hundreds) were indeed made wrong, a few moments on the lathe and its now sorted out.
Glad to know that these pistons are usable with the note, I hope they include it in the box in future. Does it work like a sick note for the teacher, or who do you show the note to?

Rob C :rofl:
spitfire

Post by spitfire »

why are the club selling pistons they know will not fit? note or no note, as janet says it will be a problem for someone that does not have the equipment or the skill to fix it. you don't buy something new in a shop, then have to fix it when you get home.
dansofield550

Post by dansofield550 »

i guess, there are no others at +60 anymore perhaps ? just these, the amount need to be removed isnt much and i guess it could be done with all sorts of tools, angle grinder, files etc.

i can do this mod for others if needed , on a lathe that is!