Head gasket problems

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
saltbox alf
Deceased

Re: Head gasket problems

Post by saltbox alf »

Condensor!!
Too many nasty chinoise copy condensors all over the place, guaranteed disaster :headbang:
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
boyd

Post by boyd »

Ok that sounds like a good thing to check next. Is there a method for testing one?
Janet

Post by Janet »

boyd wrote:k that sounds like a good thing to check next. Is there a method for testing one?
Condenses are very cheap so fit a new one. Then go for a ride within pushing distance of home.

Ref your previous post, adv/ret and points are behind the oval plate low down on the rhs of the engine. The details are shown in the owner's manual. You can adjust the points with just the plate of but if you want to reset the adv/ret you need to remove that side case. to get at it properly.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Just carrying on from Janet, when you adjust the timing wedge the adv/red unit fully open(advanced) find TDC on the compression stroke (both valves closed) get a piece of stiff wire(bend over the top so you don't drop it down the bore) put it down the spark plug hole to find exact TDC and then make a mark on the wire to show where TDC is. Then take the wire out and measure 1/4inch ABOVE the first mark and mark that. Put the wire back in the plug hole and with it it gear slowly rotate the rear wheel backwards until the piston drops the the second mark on the wire this will denote 1/4inch BTDC. You may need to do this a few times to get it right. Go to the points side loosen the two screws that hold the points plate and carefully move the plate until the points JUST open, you can determine this by ammeter, bulb or very thin (cigarette type) paper. Once happy remove wedge and all should now be fine. Just a further point with your head gasket...if the head had been skimmed to a point where the recess is shallower than standard then this will increase the distance between the barrel and head thereby giving less squash on the gasket which could be the reason for your oil leak?? Unless of course the spigot on the barrel has been reduced a corresponding amount
Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Colin F

Post by Colin F »

Just to add to Paul's descripition, it is a better method to actually rotate the back wheel backwards until about half inch BTDC and the rotate it FORWARDS until the piston comes up to the mark.

The reason for doing this is to eliminate any error from backlash in the gears etc. you are bringing it up to the timing mark with all gears etc moving the correct way.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Colin F wrote:Just to add to Paul's descripition, it is a better method to actually rotate the back wheel backwards until about half inch BTDC and the rotate it FORWARDS until the piston comes up to the mark.The reason for doing this is to eliminate any error from backlash in the gears etc. you are bringing it up to the timing mark with all gears etc moving the correct way.
Yes, exactly right, thanks for that, knew it but didn't explain it
Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
boyd

Post by boyd »

Thanks again for all the help, I'll reset points and get a new condensor, then try again.
boyd

Post by boyd »

Still waiting for parts....i'll be in touch
boyd

Post by boyd »

Well, parts arrived finally, i went to install the condenser and sure enough the screw fell into the side casing..... I have gone to fish it out and have noticed that there is oil at the bottom? hoping this is meant to be there? next step was to remove the side casing as i couldn't retrieve it with the magnet and now i find that none of my allen keys fit the side cover bolts, I'm guessing they must be imperial?
Starting to drive me crazy at this stage. I'll track down some more allen keys and continue on....
Janet

Post by Janet »

boyd wrote:Well, parts arrived finally, i went to install the condenser and sure enough the screw fell into the side casing..... I have gone to fish it out and have noticed that there is oil at the bottom? hoping this is meant to be there?
No, but it happens when you have an oil leak. Now to find out where it's coming from. The good news is that working with your points, condenser, adv/ret is much easier without the cover. Some people here will have read my exploits leaving an oil slick the length and breadth of the country, caused by a leak from the camshaft housing, filling up the case and then poring out all over -well- everywhere.