Kick starter wows

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
davegsx

Kick starter wows

Post by davegsx »

Yesterday I took my 1967 AJS for a run, no problems run just fine, after an hour of being parked up,when I tried to kick start it the kick starter would not turn the engine over. the kick start would move but not turn the engine over, i took the spark plug out and when kicked every thing that should move moved the piston would go up and down. I put the spark plug back in and it would not kick over. I bump started it and it run fine ,I rode it home, a journey of 10 miles and no problems. once home safely I tried the kick start and some times it would turn the engine over and others it would not. This morning I tried it again and it started straight away. So went for a quick ride and got home and tried it again it would not turn the engine over, it looks like it only happens when the engine is hot. Any ideas please? maybe the clutch???
Rob Harknett

Re: Kick starter wows

Post by Rob Harknett »

Why no clutch slip riding the bike when bump started. If it slipped not allowing the engine to turn over when kicked, I'm sure it would slip if ridden.
I can only think of one cause, on starting, you pull in the clutch lever, give the bike a kick or 2 to free clutch, then you try to star the bike but get clutch slip. It could be the clutch thrust rod is sticking or bent.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Yes, sounds like that may be the area to look at. It sounds like the clutch is sticking as I have found out myself, after a gearbox rebuild, that mine was doing similar. When you pull the clutch in, even in neutral, the engine will not turn over as it disengages the engine from the box, all you will feel is a stiff kick start action like a clutch slip. Why it's doing it I don't know but adjusting the clutch so you have some free play in the cable may help. Do you get clutch slip when opening the throttle in a high gear?? Have you got enough and the correct oil in the primary case??
Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
davegsx

Post by davegsx »

I have sae 50 oil in the primary case filled up to the bottom of the lower large screw.
I do not get any slip in high gears, yesterday I rode up Highgate west hill which is a steep long hill and no problems. if I pull the clutch in and kick start it it does not turn the engine at all is that right?
DM2

Post by DM2 »

davegsx wrote: if I pull the clutch in and kick start it it does not turn the engine at all is that right?
Yes it is right.

Ozmadman gave you that information in his last post.
"When you pull the clutch in, even in neutral, the engine will not turn over as it disengages the engine from the box"
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

It is also for this reason I suggested the clutch thrust rod may be sticking, as this will hold the clutch open, even if the clutch lever is released. Thinking you should be aware, if the clutch is open, the chain will not move and turn the engine over. Same with all old bikes. I have a G2CSR not in use. It takes quite some time for the thrust rod to free, so the kick starter will turn the engine, as the clutch is being held open. The thrust rod has probably rusted a bit and needs cleaning, or the bike used more to keep it lubricated a free..
boyd

Post by boyd »

did you manage to get this sorted? After an amazing weekend of sunshine riding, mine has done the same thing. Hmmmm
davegsx

Post by davegsx »

Hi Boyd,
No I didn't get it done, since it happened it has developed a bad oil leak, and I have been spending my time on the G12.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

This still sounds like seized thrust rod, every time you use the clutch, the rod will not fully return untill it eventally sticks and the clutch slips.
boyd

Post by boyd »

Thanks Dave, I opened the inspection plugs and stuck a finger in, finding the chain broken at the bottom. Hoping it's not too much hassle to replace. Good luck with your fix