Broken Primary Chain

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
56G80S

Re: Broken Primary Chain

Post by 56G80S »

Sprid's comment echoes what was said to me by Steve Surbey.

I've now bought Regina chain and Avon tyre; hope I don't find that the latter are from Korea.

Johnny B
Janet

Post by Janet »

ajscomboman wrote:Our usual supplier no longer stocks this chain due to lack of demand but I can report that we've found an alternative source and the chains will be in stock from Tues. I just wish our usual supplier had been more informative about the lack of supply as we could have acted quicker.
Clearly, there is a demand, even if it is only one from Boyd. What they're really saying is that there is insufficient demand to make it economically attractive for them to supply. I suppose there being a lack of demand for replacement chains could be seen positively in that it implies that they are very long lasting. Of course, it is possible that no-one uses their bikes so the chains would last almost forever.
aitch58 wrote: (BTW didn't the 250's get modified in later life to duplex?)
The 250 CSRs did, presumably because they have the 350 clutch and its attached bits, including the sprocket.
dogwheel

Post by dogwheel »

I'm very pleased to see someone other than me recommending "The Chain Man" -Andy, I've known him for many years, used to be a near neighbour, he really knows the chain business and properly understands motorcycles, he gives expert advice and can be trusted to provide the right chain for the job. He will be pleased to explain "Reynold" chain, which IF it is stamped "Reynold-UK" is good stuff, but will certainly be "NOS", about 40 years on the shelf! Nowadays they call it Reynold and get it made wherever is cheapest.

Robin.
boyd

Post by boyd »

Chain arrived today but it is joined already....hoping i haven't been sent the wrong one, I can see one link is different but its not a split link like I've seen before.... will try splitting. If I can't split it could I fit it by slackening everything off? I hope so....sun is shining
Colin F

Post by Colin F »

DON'T Split it!

It is probably an endless chain.......

you remove the clutch and drive sprocket, fit the chain round these and then slide them back onto their shafts and refit.

A pain I know but there is no split link to fail!
boyd

Post by boyd »

Having some serious difficultly removing clutch, Ive the centre nut off but it doesn't want to come off, I'm reluctant to apply to much pressure,
Am I missing something?
Janet

Post by Janet »

boyd wrote:Having some serious difficultly removing clutch, Ive the centre nut off but it doesn't want to come off, I'm reluctant to apply to much pressure,
Am I missing something?
Do you mean you've removed the nut that is central when you first look at the clutch or have you dismantled the clutch, removing the clutch centre nut? If the former, I believe you need to take the clutch to bits, very carefully, and making note of the order of bits. If the latter, there should be a spring washer behind the nut. Perhaps this is wedged and not allowing the rest of the clutch to come off?

Edit: You may benefit from the clutch extractor tool number 040449, available from the club spares.
boyd

Post by boyd »

Thanks Janet,

Im thinking that it will be a whole lot easier to send back this chain and get the correct one. Just a pain because the weather is great and the rain will be back by the time its replacement arrives....
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

56G80S wrote:I've now bought Regina chain and Avon tyre; hope I don't find that the latter are from Korea.Johnny B
Who's to know, Johnny? But they don't mention Korea!

From their website:
Avon Tyre Co. is a subsidiary of Cooper Tire & Rubber Company (NYSE: CTB). A global company with subsidiaries that specialize in medium truck, motorcycle and racing tires. With headquarters in Findlay, Ohio, Cooper Tire has design and manufacturing facilities within its family of companies including U.S.A., Serbia, Mexico and China and produces the Cooper, Mastercraft, Dean, Starfire, Roadmaster, Avon Tyres, Mickey Thompson, Dick Cepek, Chengshan, Austone, Fortune and Mentor range of motorcycle tires.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

The original chains were endless therefore sending it back quite frankly is pointless. You'd be better off doing the job correctly and purchasing the correct tool to remove the clutch centre as recommended by Janet.