Air slide

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
davegsx

Air slide

Post by davegsx »

While i was working on my carb I noticed that when the choke is closed it is sitting down in the main chamber, should it not be all the way up to the top?
Ozmadman

Re: Air slide

Post by Ozmadman »

davegsx wrote:While i was working on my carb I noticed that when the choke is closed it is sitting down in the main chamber, should it not be all the way up to the top?
Yes! Maybe the cable has come adrift or has broken
'there should be a spring and the slide runs up and down a brass sleeve. The slide should be up when the lever on the handlebar is pulled toward you, ie at right angles to the handlebars
Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
bunners

Post by bunners »

Confused, surely when the choke is closed it should be in the chamber when it is open it should be at the top. Dave if the choke is closed it would be at the bottom. Or have I read this all wrong?
If there is life after Death whats the point of dying in the first place.
davegsx

Post by davegsx »

I properly didn't explain myself very well . If it is in the area coloured red then that is choke on?
The problem I am having is trying to adjust the tick over, I just can't get it to tick over with out it revving too high. I have tried the throttle stop screw this makes no difference I have also tried adjusting the throttle cable. At full throttle it runs well at part throttle it hesitates for a moment then it runs fine. I have fitted a new 180 main jet and a 20 pilot jet, new float. It did have a 200 main jet fitted, the bike is fitted with out an air filter.
One day this bike will be right.
petert120r

Post by petert120r »

Don't bother with the choke (air slide). I never fit them on Monoblocs or Concentrics. Adjust the slide so that it is completely withdrawn upwards and then screw down the handlebar lever so in can't be moved. Tickling the carb until it sprays is quite sufficient for cold starting.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I never bother with the choke, leave it fully open ( at the top where you should not be able to see it through the bellmouth )
I don't think I'll be riding my bikes when it s so cold, I would need to use the choke.to start the bike. The bikes do need a good flood before starting, tickle the carb until petrol wets your finger. Make sure you have actually got the small choke spring and large slide spring. Cable needs to be free, also the spring to assist's the slide, so its closes down on the throttle. Then it will make a difference.
Set the air screw as advised in the manual, then the throttle stop. That's the starting point, befor the fine adjustment of both.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

bunners wrote:Confused, surely when the choke is closed it should be in the chamber when it is open it should be at the top. Dave if the choke is closed it would be at the bottom. Or have I read this all wrong?
Yes, you are right.. I read it wrong
Paul
1960 Model 8
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Are you sure that the slide is dropping right down when the throttle is closed? Make sure it isn't catching anywhere. I sometimes give the slide spring a bit of a stretch to give more oomph to ensure the slide snaps closed as quick as possible.
Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
SideValve

Post by SideValve »

Just a thought - what slide do you have? Possible cut out too large?
Peter W