Current Drain

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
saltbox alf
Deceased

Re: Current Drain

Post by saltbox alf »

I seem to remember reading that for a short time AMC acted as importer for Yamahahahaha . For the life of me can't remember where. (and I might be wrong)
Anyway nicely turned out stroker.
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

I thought it was Suzuki
Sam
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

I do know it was a rice burner, I can't remember exactly so your more than likely right :?
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Nice job Paul, well done

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Yes, Paul, looks great. Really crisp and rarin' to go.
I've had to consider lighter bikes and those revvy 2-stroke Jap twins have a certain panache about them. I still miss riding my old thumping single though. One day, p'raps :)
Much admiration too for you chaps or 'chums' as Paul (pkr87) says ;) , who have to park and fettle outdoors.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

SPRIDDLER wrote:Yes, Paul, looks great. Really crisp and rarin' to go.
I've had to consider lighter bikes and those revvy 2-stroke Jap twins have a certain panache about them. I still miss riding my old thumping single though. One day, p'raps :)
Much admiration too for you chaps or 'chums' as Paul (pkr87) says ;) , who have to park and fettle outdoors.
Hi Neville, thanks... Problem is it actually weighs almost as much as my model 8 (334 pounds! Would you believe) one advantage though you can almost kick it over with your little finger and a swift kick will turn it over about 3 times, starts first or second kick every time
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
markhouse

Post by markhouse »

That is a cracking looking trundle Paul. I was a "No Jap Crap Here" type-person back in the day, then time passed, ever so damn quickly and now I look at bikes like yours in nostalgic appreciation too!
markhouse

Post by markhouse »

Having found the 'source' of the current drain of my G2, I dismantled the culprit, seemingly the Wipac ignition switch, and now wish I hadn't. I have scoured the net for some sort of pin-out for these damnations, to no avail. Has anyone else taken one to pieces and successfully put it back together again?
en7jos

Post by en7jos »

The wiring diagrams in the back of the owner's / workshop manuals often include a pin out diagram for the switches. Have you checked there? If not, try the ones for the years either side of your bike, or indeed the AJS equivalent model. a search of Christian's archives might also turn something useful up.

Interested to know how the ignition switch caused a 1 amp current drain without burning out though! Any ideas or pictures Mark?

Regards, James
RAY BOWMAN

Post by RAY BOWMAN »

I don't think I would bother to dismantle one I would buy a new one.
Ray.