Current Drain

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
markhouse

Re: Current Drain

Post by markhouse »

It's official, I am a ****wit. I configured my RS multimeter wrong, in that I did not change the lead connection from measuring voltage, to measuring current, Hence I was getting totally false readings. The current drain was actually about 2.5 A when the ignition switch was in the off position. I disconnected the rectifier and the drain was zero, so I have ordered a new one. However the ignition switch was also gubbed, making connections a bit flakey, so I robbed one off my AJS. I'm still waiting for the DVLA regarding the latter, so it won't be missed unil I get a new one.

Thank-you for all the help and advice chaps. Hope to make the NW section meet next Wednesday.
JohnHewes

Post by JohnHewes »

I've done that too!
markhouse

Post by markhouse »

I bet it didn't take you as long as it took me to realize it though! Oh the shame.....
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

The best trick is to leave it on the milliamp range and try to use it as a voltmeter. Very hard to put the smoke back in.
Ian
1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650
Janet

Post by Janet »

markowenhouse wrote:It's official, I am a ****wit. I configured my RS multimeter wrong,
Well done for sorting the problem. The big mistake was telling us what you did. What you should have done was said that you thought the reading seemed very high so ( the lie starts here ) you borrowed another meter and found that it was giving a totally different but more likely, reading. Therefore you bought yourself a new meter, which confirmed the discrepancy, from which you were able to find the fault and fix it. Not only does this save you the embarrassment of confessing to the boob, you get the plaudits for curing the fault.

I've never been able to understand the instructions on those infernal multi-meter things so cannot use them. But then, I'm only a girlie and shouldn't bother my pretty little head about such technical things.
markhouse

Post by markhouse »

I hope nobody in the I.E.T. is reading this thread............................
Janet

Post by Janet »

markowenhouse wrote:I hope nobody in the I.E.T. is reading this thread............................
Don't worry. It's not as if you've written anything that can be seen by people throughout the whole world, is it? :rofl:
Cerberus

Post by Cerberus »

Don't worry, membership of the IET does not preclude the possibility of failing to engage brain.

Cerberus CEng, MIET (retired).
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

I can see you :idea: :rofl: Watt ave you done at ohm? I ampimpressed you have found the problem :rofl:
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

markowenhouse wrote:I hope nobody in the I.E.T. is reading this thread............................
Do I get automatic membership to the I.E.T. for not knowing what it stands for?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'