Newbie , with a matchless G2

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

Re: Newbie , with a matchless G2

Post by Ozmadman »

Where did you manage to find that!! kinda like it..
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Helped out at the AMOC stand at Mallory park over last week end. Guy called Jim wandered over and spoke to either Ian or Neil and asked if anyone was interested in a ex AFS G3 that's stood in a shed for about 15 years.

I really liked both Ian's G3's and 'Tommy' Trinders ex wartime G3 which i got to ride over the weekend. I had planned to look for a G80 or any twin that was complete and below £1500.

Bloody hell right on my door step near Newark was this G3- went over Friday brought it home the same day. who needs a twin anyway.

Its only had two owners from new and has covered 16K - Its rusty - mudguard bridges front and back need attention and anything chrome buts its all there unmolested.

the engine turns over and the clutch & gearbox seem OK.

I'm right in the middle of fitting a new bathroom so haven't got the time to change the oil,check the points & plug put a battery in and have a go firing it up at the mo.

Next week however........... Guess i will be posting under G3 now as well!!

Cheers
Steve
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Thanks for the info, nice find!!
Paul
1960 Model 8
garagejunkie

Post by garagejunkie »

Hi guys , mot is arranged for tomorrow , however I'm trying to find out if a rear reflector is mandatory on a 1961 ? Does anyone know ?
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

A reflector is required, it can be part of the rear lamp or a stand alone unit, the original Wipac rear lamp on a G2 had a reflector built in to it. If you don't have a reflector pick up a sticky back one from a bike shop on your way to MOT.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Janet

Post by Janet »

cbranni wrote:If you don't have a reflector pick up a sticky back one from a bike shop on your way to MOT.
Make sure it's a red one.
garagejunkie

Post by garagejunkie »

This explains why I have seen the space for them on some old number plates ..... Im sure I saw the stick on ones in pound land .

Thanks for the info I did not know this ! that could have been a disappointment !
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

I have an original Wipac rear lens and have a reflector lower down on the mudguard so from what Colin has said, could I remove the additional one and still be legal then?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
garagejunkie

Post by garagejunkie »

My taillight is definitely not the same as that one so I'll be looking for a reflector tomorrow morning , I do have a hole in the rear mudguard where yours is located ozmadman .
Janet

Post by Janet »

Ozmadman wrote:I have an original Wipac rear lens and have a reflector lower down on the mudguard so from what Colin has said, could I remove the additional one and still be legal then?
Yes.
garagejunkie wrote:My taillight is definitely not the same as that one so I'll be looking for a reflector tomorrow morning , I do have a hole in the rear mudguard where yours is located ozmadman .
I'm probably too late now, but the lens on the tail light you have may still incorporate a reflector. Just shine a light at it and see if it reflects back at you.