Warning lights ignition/headlight

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
garagejunkie

Warning lights ignition/headlight

Post by garagejunkie »

On observing some photographs of various years of G2 Iv seen some without warning lights on either side of the speedo and some with ( more with ).
My G2 is missing both red lenses but I have 2 small square holes where they should be fitted. I have the naked bulb light shining through the left ( ignition ) but I have no bulb inside for the right hand side ( headlight) I presume ? I can imagine the small red lenses are hard to find.

What is normal ? 2 separate bulbs under the holes for the lenses ? I can't even see wiring for the he one I think I'm missing ...
Ozmadman

Re: Warning lights ignition/headlight

Post by Ozmadman »

I don't have them at all on my G5 (no holes in the headlamp shell for them) and I can't see any wiring shown for them in the wiring diagram either?? were they just fitted to the later G2's does anyone know?
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
garagejunkie

Post by garagejunkie »

Mine is a 1961 , The small square holes in the headlight casing / shell definatley look factory and the wiring , Iv seen a few detailed pictures on eBay of bikes showing the small red light lenses .
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

You can also see them on Francis Barnett & James models of the same era which shared many common cycle components with yhe "lightweights"
I seem to remember a similar thread on here some 3 years ago ( or thereabouts ) and it was a case of "mine has them - mine doesn't" and there was no clear conclusion why they were fitted or what purpose they served.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Yes I seem to remember that, I think they were termed "idiot lights" presumably to tell you your lights or ignition was on :? :?
Paul
1960 Model 8
Groily

Post by Groily »

Could be useful if they were wired to show 'not charging' via the red one, and high-beam on a blue(?) one, the latter of which is quite commonly found on loads of beasts (just wire the little bulb into the main beam feed from the dipswitch. (No charge warning is a bit harder to wire up though as it has to be sensitive to the difference between battery and charging voltage.)
Paul Goff sells the idiot lights in blue, amber, red and green, parts HL10152,3,4,5 (pattern parts) at £4.95, and the 'diamond' lensed Lucas types, same colours, at £9.50 each. I like the main beam one as it is actually quite useful in traffic. I have several. Cheers, Bill
Tolly

Post by Tolly »

They weren't lights at all, they were two plastic red tear drop shaped buttons. What they were for I've no idea but they look good. :P

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
SideValve

Post by SideValve »

My G2 had two clear lenses. There was no fitting behind them. In my opinion just there to look pretty.
Peter W
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

The plot thickens!! a neutral light would be a good idea as well
Paul
1960 Model 8
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

Who would has thought that 55 years or more later that a stylists/designers "whim" would be causing so much anxst!