Royal Enfield side stand fitting

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
clanger9

Royal Enfield side stand fitting

Post by clanger9 »

I needed a side stand for my CSR cafe racer. The original part is £150 from the spares scheme :shock: , but a much cheaper Royal Enfield one will fit (with a bit of persuasion). Here's how...

You need a Royal Enfield Bullet side stand. They are less than £20 from India on eBay.

Took about a week to arrive. It looks like this:

It doesn't quite fit. The front hole is too big, the back hole is in the wrong place and the bracket fouls the engine casing.

First, make a sleeve to reduce the size of the front hole. I improvised from some bits I had lying around.

Next, make a simple template to trace the required shape and mark the bracket where metal needs to be removed.

It fits! The front stud was a little short, so I have used some threaded rod instead. This has to support the weight of the bike, so I'll replace it with a proper stud at some point.

The angle of the stand looked a little low when retracted, so I ground of a small amount of metal on the stop to lift it a bit. My bike has rearset footrests, so there's no clearance problem here. I guess if the footrests are in the normal place then you should check the stand clears these OK.

Sorted!
The stand angle seems just fine and it's nice and strong. It's a little awkward to put the stand down, as it's hidden under the engine casing when retracted. No big problem, could easily be sorted by welding on a stud to make it easier to kick down.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
garagejunkie

Re: Royal Enfield side stand fitting

Post by garagejunkie »

I'm just wondering if it would be even harder to put down with the standard foot pegs / brake etc , yours are well out the way ! It looks like it's tube , or is it solid ?

Excellent tutorial !
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Here is my modified Royal Enfield side stand that I have( I have the original side stand on my bike but the bracket has been welded twice, so bought this as a spare for when it finally gives up the ghost!!). I bought it on ebay a few years back now from a guy who was modifying RE stands to fit the lightweights and he did a good job. I has the correct shape fitting bracket (the bracket on the original stand is far more substantial as it goes right under the lower frame and up the other side forming a cradle which is then clamped as the fixing studs go through the lower frame), a post with a rubber cover on to enable you to push it down, a decent return spring and was supplied with the fixing studs as well oh, and it has a solid not tubular leg! I did contact him and asked if he could modify me 10 of these with the intention of selling them on (knowing how sought after they are and how expensive they are to buy) but he said he couldn't commit to that as he only did a few as and when he got hold of them. I have never seen them on ebay since then
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

garagejunkie wrote:I'm just wondering if it would be even harder to put down with the standard foot pegs / brake etc , yours are well out the way ! It looks like it's tube , or is it solid ?
It's a tube. Definitely not as strong (over-engineered??) as the original fitting, but should be sufficient. I will keep an eye on it for cracks, etc.

You're right about the standard pegs - I'm not sure how well this solution would work on a standard bike and you'd definitely need to weld a peg on to make it usable. Anyway, I hope these pictures are helpful for someone. I tried in vain to find *any* photo of a Lightweight with a sidestand, even to find out where it was supposed to attach! It seems like it was an optional extra and wasn't fitted to many bikes.

For comparison, the side stand on my (bigger, heavier) Ducati is made of nothing more than thin alloy tube, so I'm optimistic this one should be up to the job... ;)
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

clanger9 wrote: I tried in vain to find *any* photo of a Lightweight with a sidestand, even to find out where it was supposed to attach! It seems like it was an optional extra and wasn't fitted to many bikes.
As mentioned above, My lightweight has the original optional extra stand fitted and when I get a mo and next uncover the bike I will take a few pictures of it and how it fits. It is a lot longer than yours and the Enfield stands and therefore sits a lot further out when it is open (Much like a harley stand). it doesn't have a peg on it to open it out so it is still difficult to catch it with your foot to get it out from the side of the bike
Paul
1960 Model 8
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

I have 3 pictures of the stand, not very good but will give you some idea
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Well im'e all for a bit of 'desert engineering' and this fits the bill, well done chaps. If it holds up hurrah!!
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS