Gear box outer cover part needed

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Arnomatchless

Gear box outer cover part needed

Post by Arnomatchless »

Hello
I am Arno from the Netherlands and am rebuilding my G2 from 1960.
In the outer cover of the gear box there is the springholder mounted, mine is worn out and need to be replaced, according to the drawing it must be number 041158, but in the part list I cannot find it.. does anybody know if this part is available?
Rangy65

Re: Gear box outer cover part needed

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi Arno, i dont think this part is avalable. It is not listed in either the club spares or Russel Motors.

I suggest you contact AMC classic spares and ask if they have a used one - or join the club and place a wanted ad.

Good luck

Steve
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Arnomatchless wrote:Hello
I am Arno from the Netherlands and am rebuilding my G2 from 1960.
In the outer cover of the gear box there is the springholder mounted, mine is worn out and need to be replaced, according to the drawing it must be number 041158, but in the part list I cannot find it.. does anybody know if this part is available?
I have checked both the parts list and the gearbox exploded view and I cannot see part number 041158, maybe it is an old number that has been replaced. I know these boxes pretty well but am not sure what you mean by your description "springholder mounted"? There are only two springs in the outer case one is a thin spring with two long ends (041327) which is the one that stops the gear change pawl from flopping about and the other thick spring (041328) provides the tension and return for the gear change itself. I am wondering if you mean you need the washer that goes underneath spring 041327, its a flat washer with upturned edges around the top and bottom part of the circumference? The part number for this is 041640 and it is available. I have attached a picture which may help, the washer I am talking about is easily seen under the thin spring.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Arnomatchless

Post by Arnomatchless »

Hi Paul
Thanks for your quick reaction, maybe I was not clear enough but I need the metal bracket which is mounted with the 2 bolts..

Thanks
Janet

Post by Janet »

It is the footchange stop plate and is no longer manufactured. As Rangy says, you may be able to get a used one.
AMC Clasic Spares do have second hand parts for lightweight gearboxes.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Arnomatchless wrote:Hi Paul
Thanks for your quick reaction, maybe I was not clear enough but I need the metal bracket which is mounted with the 2 bolts..
Thanks
Part number 041521 Russell Motors list it in their price list , give them a call and ask the price as their list is about 8 years out of date. I have a used one that will get you out of trouble , Pm me

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

It has all gone quiet??
Paul
1960 Model 8
Arnomatchless

Post by Arnomatchless »

Hi Ozmadman

I have contacted Russel motors and waiting for their reply, I needed also some more parts... previous owner(s) made a mess of it :oops:
Will keep you in the loop..

Arno
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Arnomatchless wrote:Hi Ozmadman

I have contacted Russel motors and waiting for their reply, I needed also some more parts... previous owner(s) made a mess of it :oops:
Will keep you in the loop..

Arno
Thanks, I know what you mean by the P.O's botches .. my 350 had a stripped thread in the barrel which takes that thinner head bolt. Plus it had been heli-coiled before and that had stripped as well, the breather rotor missing completely from the crank, bent fork stanchions, knackered rear brake plate plus a zillion other cock-ups and botches found along the way. Really annoying when you order parts, pay the postage and then find a day later that there is something else you need that often costs less the the extra postage you now have to pay.
Paul
1960 Model 8