Birthday Ride

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Grim Rider

Birthday Ride

Post by Grim Rider »

My 250 14 CSR and I share the same birth-day: we were both officially registered on September 10th 1962. To celebrate this fact I thought it only right I used the bike of the day and rode it to work. A little tricky in traffic as I am still not used to the gear change being on the right hand side but we got their fine - even the speedometer sprang into life for the first half of the journey before lapsing into the coma it has obviously been in for at least past three MOTs! I took it for a short ride at lunchtime (seeing off the alarms on the two much newer bikes parked next to it when I started it up!) and all was great. Took the long way home and half way it died, just cut out and wouldn't restart. Fortunately it was only 25 yards from the home of the only friend I know with a motorbike trailer and ignominiously we arrived home pulled behind a Mini.

Taken the seat and tank off this evening and found broken 15A fuse - have to move the wiring (it all needs replacing i think) so the fuse is behind the side panel!
1962 AJS 250
2001 BMW R1150GSA
2014 Honda CB500X

www.thegrimrider.com
www.bldr.moonfruit.com
SideValve

Re: Birthday Ride

Post by SideValve »

I'm impressed by the shared Birthday! My first car (Austin A35) and first bike (BSA C15) were both the same year as me (1959) but it wasn't until I got my Model 14 that I got one built the same month. Mine is 3 days out - first registered on 08 Jun 59 whereas I arrived on the 11th.

Think I might have to contact ebay asking them to make it a proviso of listing old vehicles that you specify the exact date so I can find an proper match...
Peter W
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

oooppps some classic bike insurances do not cover you going to and from your place of work
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

Rob Harknett wrote:oooppps some classic bike insurances do not cover you going to and from your place of work
Happy birthday. Next year take the day off and just ride.

Rob C
clive

Post by clive »

Rob Harknett wrote:oooppps some classic bike insurances do not cover you going to and from your place of work
May be true but social domestic and pleasure usually includes to and from a place of work, but not between places of work. Worth checking though.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Grim Rider

Post by Grim Rider »

No reason for oooppps, my insurance does.

You do need business insurance if you are using a vehicle to travel between places of work, or to courses etc.
1962 AJS 250
2001 BMW R1150GSA
2014 Honda CB500X

www.thegrimrider.com
www.bldr.moonfruit.com
Grim Rider

Post by Grim Rider »

robcurrie wrote:
Happy birthday. Next year take the day off and just ride.

Rob C
Thanks Rob - if only!
1962 AJS 250
2001 BMW R1150GSA
2014 Honda CB500X

www.thegrimrider.com
www.bldr.moonfruit.com