Saddle seat for my 1963 Model 18 500cc single swin

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Patrick Tan.

Post by Patrick Tan. »

Hai fellow members, how are u all ? I am at the moment restoring my model 18, but am thinking to have a saddle seat as the twin seat 's pan is rusted beyond repair. Can anyone please help and advise whether it is possible to do a saddle seat on this model and year. If possible, can u please help on some measured drawings so as to help me to fabricate it locally...the internal frame and also fixing details. Thanks a lot.
kieven

Post by kieven »

Try the hitchcocks site, had a single seat from them, if you phone them I am sure they would give you dimensions
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

It is difficult to fit a single saddle on any post-1955 AMC frame. The later frames have not mount for the saddle nose, nor for the rear springs, as well an the fuel tank not being notched at the rear for the seat.

Why not make up a pattern from the existing seat pan but shorter to suit. The front mount would be the same but you will have to select a position for the rear.

Cheers, Don.
TommoT

Post by TommoT »

If you plan to ride your bike for longer trips don't do it! With the forward position of the footrests you will be locked into an uncomfortable position if you are anything near 6 feet or more. The only way I survive on my G80 is to be able to move around on the dual seat, even using the pilion footrests for variation. Just my practical experience from continental trips across Europe.
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
Dougie

Post by Dougie »

Blimey! I never get uncomfortable on my single saddle

The bloody bike don't stay running for long enough...
Brothers Matt & Neal with joint membership