Matchless g3ls

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
SPRIDDLER

Re: Matchless g3ls

Post by SPRIDDLER »

mikeydpippin wrote:.....and on other bike I have a remould on the front.
Remould? On the front!?
Rather you than me, Mike.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Mmmm your right Sprids, maybe 3 tyres and put the aforementioned Mitas front and back?.
Mike
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Avon Roadriders for me, I'll check the sizes but they're on original Dunlop rims. I have to let air out of the front tyre to remove the wheel. I have had two flat tyres with these, one front and one rear and both times was able to stay upright and fix by the side of the road (levers and patch once and levers and spare tube once).

I was very grateful for a different thread pointing out the need to use increased tyre pressures when using these, significantly above the quote rates for the old tyres. It made quite a positive difference.

Johnny B
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

mikeydpippin wrote:Mmmm your right Sprids, maybe 3 tyres and put the aforementioned Mitas front and back?.
Initially I thought your 'remould' comment was a jest.

I honestly had no idea that remould tyres were still marketed. Last ones I had were for my dilapidated Mini when I was on apprentice wages (£3.50 a week including Sat morning overtime) in the early 60's. I would have to be very very desperate to have a remould on a motorbike and certainly would never fit one on the front.
I've been perfectly happy with a Mitas tyre on the front of my G3.

I know I don't have to remind you that the little patch of tyre is all the contact you have with the road. You'd willingly pay 50 quid if it meant avoiding even a couple of hours in A&E (and maybe months of rehab afterwards). We elder folk don't bounce so well these days ;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

56G80S wrote:Avon Roadriders

I was very grateful for a different thread pointing out the need to use increased tyre pressures when using these, significantly above the quote rates for the old tyres. It made quite a positive difference.

Johnny B
Glad to have been of service. :beer: See you at the Jampot?
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Barrel at T&L.

Bet they'll be plenty of barrels at the Jampot.

Even if Matchless not back on the road and can't cadge a pillion I might visit brother in law over the border in Hereford and drive over!

Johnny B
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

56G80S wrote:Barrel at T&L.

Bet they'll be plenty of barrels at the Jampot.

Even if Matchless not back on the road and can't cadge a pillion I might visit brother in law over the border in Hereford and drive over!

Johnny B
Bring riding kit as I may have more than one bike there just check your insurance cove riding other bikes and beer tokens ;)
Roy
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

SPRIDDLER wrote:
mikeydpippin wrote:.....and on other bike I have a remould on the front.
Remould? On the front!?
Rather you than me, Mike.
I was not aware you could get remoulds anymore, also never knew they did them for bikes.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

On topic, I've never used remoulds for any vehicle.

Least of all a motorcycle.

Have used part worn once when I was 19 but even then they had a very thorough inspection and I knew the chap I got them from.

Roy - I'll probably get it back in one piece but I do have cover to ride others machines including cars. Only legal cover - the old TPFT.

Johnny B
mikeydpippin

Post by mikeydpippin »

Have I made a bit of a cock up, I,ve fitted these tyres front and back,

http://www.vintagetyres.com/item/667/32 ... -universal

When on the road I found the bike to be a bit stiffer when trying to veer to right or left, my first thought was that a cable had caught in steering yoke, but all turns free when parked, I've got 28psi front and back as recommended by vintage tyres,
should ribbed tyres ONLY be fitted to the front?.
Mike