Clutch drag

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Lassenc

Clutch drag

Post by Lassenc »

Yes, but that wont help me when I need to get a new chain...
Lassenc

Clutch drag

Post by Lassenc »

Would epoxy be able to fit my problem with the primary leak?
Biscuit
Deceased

Clutch drag

Post by Biscuit »

No, you don't want to make it permanent. Silicone, known as Instant bike gasket will do the job, providing the the two cases meet all round with no gaps. Regarding the chain, I'm confused, you have a chain, you only need to measure the width and pitch and count the links and there you are. Regarding Itma's instructions, neither He or I are Shakespeares or Miltons, but I found it understandable. If it is a language problem, we have some Great Danes (sorry!) on the site, perhaps they could help.

Lassenc

Clutch drag

Post by Lassenc »

Well there are some words I am not familiar with in the topic...

My primary is sealed with cork gaskets, no rubber seal or anything that itma mentioned in this topic

http://www.jampot.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_I ... Title=Help

Should I ditch the cork gasket and only go with silcone?
itma

Clutch drag

Post by itma »

Sounds a queer job, is it in fact an AMC chaincase and not off some other bike? compare it with some of the other bikes in the photo section; I am puzzled to how it is sealed with cork, sounds like a BSA chaincase, has it got lots of small screws round the edge?`

Edited by - itma on 19 May 2006 4:30:53 PM
Biscuit
Deceased

Clutch drag

Post by Biscuit »

Lassenc, are you able to post pictures of the bike, both sides, in the photo's section? Would be a great help to all of us.

Lassenc

Clutch drag

Post by Lassenc »

quote:
Sounds a queer job, is it in fact an AMC chaincase and not off some other bike? compare it with some of the other bikes in the photo section; I am puzzled to how it is sealed with cork, sounds like a BSA chaincase, has it got lots of small screws round the edge?`

Edited by - itma on 19 May 2006 4:30:53 PM

It has yes! I'll take a picture of it tomorrow!

I by the way can't find any online shops for AJS parts besides domiracer.

Any links?
itma

Clutch drag

Post by itma »

on line shop for AJS????
you do know they have been out of production for nearly 50 years? Join the club and get all your parts from the spares scheme
TommoT

Clutch drag

Post by TommoT »

Sorry folks, the next pargraph will be in Danish, I'll try and clear up a few terms for Lasse.

Hej Lasse,
du vil altid modtage mange forskellige forslag til løsning af de problemer du skriver om.

I dette tilfælde består det første problem i at finde ud af hvad for en primærkædekasse du har. Ud fra din årgang, 1952, så skulle din cykel have en sortmalet kædekasse lavet af pladejern (de kalder her på forum materialet, "pressed steel"), hvilket bare betyder at de to kædekasse halvdele er presset ud af ganske almindelig pladejern, som man bruger til skærme og værktøjskasser. Ud fra din beskrivelse lyder det som om du ikke har en sådan. Derfor skal vi have fundet ud af hvad det er for en kædekasse tidligere ejere har monteret. Først derefter kan vi prøve at finde en løsning.

Hvis din kædekasse er lavet af aluminium og samlet med en masse skruer langs kanten, er det sandsynligt du har en alu kædekasse fra en senere model. Sidst i 50erne gik alle modellerne nemlig over til denne type.

Pladejernskædekassen kan enten forsegles med almindelig silikone på tube, købt i byggemarkedet. Hvis du ikke har lyst til at stå og fedte med det hver gang du skal samle kædekassen, kan du få en neopren/gummiprofil som passer lige ind mellem de to kædekasse halvdele. Når man så strammer skruen i midten og alu båndet rundt om kanten er kædekassen stort set tæt.

Alu kædekassen kan have en korkpakning, eller en gummipakning. Du kan ikke undvære en pakning her. Hvis den stadig er lidt utæt kan du supplere med lidt silikone, eller hvad du nu kan finde.

Håber det går, lad os få et par billeder, så bliver alting meget nemmere.

Mvh.
Tom Mortensen

NB. der er en masse engelsk humor her i forum, derfor kan det sommetider godt være svært at vide hvad de snakker om. Men så spørger man bare igen.

That's all folks, just warned Lasse against the English humor and irony that seems to be the preferred mode of communication! Personally I would find it dull without it and btw. rather close to Danish humor and irony.

Note to Biscuit: please note that I stressed the need for the use of proper terms, i.e. "pressed steel chaincase".

Edited by - TommoT on 20 May 2006 3:34:35 PM
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
Biscuit
Deceased

Clutch drag

Post by Biscuit »

Excellent Tom, couldn't understand a word, but if it helps Lassenc, then what the hell. I wonder if his reference to a cork seal refers to the clutch 'dome', or does he indeed have an aluminium primary. By the way, I was looking at some stainless suppliers and they referred to the prmary cover as '.... for the pressed steel case'. I AM NOT ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Whoops, nearly forgot, I am sure I am not alone in saying no apologies necessary.Edited by - Biscuit on 20 May 2006 4:51:29 PMEdited by - Biscuit on 20 May 2006 8:54:38 PM