Matchless G80 1959

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
jim501

Matchless G80 1959

Post by jim501 »

This is far more interesting than the original thread, whatever it might have been. Perhaps Vince is a bit too clever for us.

Consider ...

In 50 years time, as the world wallows ever deeper in nostalgia, parts for the singles and twins will become so available there will be more of them on the road than there were in the 50s/60s. They will be rereleased and digitally remastered.

There will be AMC traffic jams. Geriatric leather boys will be causing upset in Brighton and trying to find somebody older to annoy.
The Troggs will release a new single. Ronco will cram 46 tracks on to a 12" LP and people will remember who Simon Dee was.

The mainstream models will be so commonplace they will become worthless. Vince's Punto will become a collectors item.

Classic Bike will have articles in it about the Ariel Pixie, the Norman Conquest the Gresham Flier and the Goblin Teasmade.

Crap will become .. IN and COOL and HIP.

Mark my words. There is an Austin Allegro Owners Club. Anything is possible.

cheers
jim
vince

Matchless G80 1959

Post by vince »

Jim you are a very funny guy, I like that good humor is why i'm restoring this bike if nothing else. Thanks
vincent a lytsell
lawrence

Matchless G80 1959

Post by lawrence »

quote:
There is an Austin Allegro Owners Club.

Is that the one where they swop tips on how best to commit suicide?
itma

Matchless G80 1959

Post by itma »

thats pixies and goblins inthe same post; there was a Fairy motorcycle in the veteran days, and An ELF inthe 1980`s, so thats the full set.......?

enjoy your bike for its rarity value Vince, curious you should have posted on midsummer day with all these elvin themes about.........
I had an allegro once, was`nt that bad
ajaygray

Matchless G80 1959

Post by ajaygray »

I had one aswell. It was crap (mind you it was the automatic version) They didn't christen them AllAgro's for nothing.
I spent a month at Leyland in the 80's doing some contract work for them. They didn't have a good word for them either.
jim501

Matchless G80 1959

Post by jim501 »

Now .. look... I am probably guilty of diverting this thread off into Austin Alegovers but way back at the start, Nick wanted to know about electronic ignition. Somebody want to put him right ?

cheers
jim
ajaygray

Matchless G80 1959

Post by ajaygray »

Just a final point for Vince. If he needs any spare parts for the AMC engine then try here
www.villiersservices.co.uk/spares.htm
Aswell as Villiers spares they have some AMC bits in stock.
Right back to business -- Nick if your still there and not given up waiting for a reply - If your 1959 model is like my 350, then it will be an Alternator model (I'm not that clued up with the 500's) If so I would talk to Boyer, Newtronic or Pazon as they all do Electronic ignition.
If it's a Mag you have, then I would be more looking to get the Mag refurbed, as when they got hot, they can lose performance, and thus bad starting.
Personally, it seems to me that unless I have major issues starting the bike, then I would leave it as it is. The arguments for Electronic are better spark, the timing stays constant as you do not lose performance by the contact breakers changing gap, or coking up. (Personally I think twins benefit more than singles in this respect, as you can get both cyclinders spot on, instead of compromising on the timing).
The other side of the argument is that Electronic is a black box, and if that goes down, you won't get home, whereas if a points system fails (which in all fairness is more likely anyway) then you have a chance of doing a roadside repair. This of course depends on how handy you are in the first place! But then how many new bikes do you see broken down with electrical problems, and they all use electronic ignition!
I ride in a group where there is a mix of bikes with both options used. So its a riders personal preference.
My preference is that until my points system goes down, then I'll stick with it, as it always starts, hot or cold (not always first kick, but within two or three). The bike has lasted 47 years with points as its motive power, so there can't be a lot wrong with the system.
If you are getting bad starting when it's warm on an alternator equiped model, then I would look at the reason for this, rather than masking a problem wih lectronic, and once this is fixed, then make your decision on whether to change.
I'm sure there will be other contributions to this debate.
itma

Matchless G80 1959

Post by itma »

quote: if a points system fails, which is more likely anyway

quote: Textquote: the bike has lasted 47 years with points as its motive power
discuss the logic behind this statement?

stick with the points set-up Nick,
In nearly 50 yrs on old bikes never had trouble with the points, save normal wear.
I thought I had already put him right, back at the top?
Edited by - itma on 28 Jun 2006 3:36:27 PM
ajaygray

Matchless G80 1959

Post by ajaygray »

quote:
quote: if a points system fails, which is more likely anyway

quote: Text[quote]the bike has lasted 47 years with points as its motive power
discuss the logic behind this statement?

The points system is more likey to fail as it is a mechanical device, and with oil and vibration aswell as a spark going across the contacts and low tension wires being screwed to terminals, it is inherantly more unreliable than a solid state sealed box. As a concept it is fixable as the contacts can be cleaned up, the nuts which come loose can be tightened. The point I was making is that as a system in itself it works well, and is proved to be long lasting, but if you are still on your original contact breakers and condensor after 50 years, then you either haven't used it or need to replace them now.
In 50 years you say you haven't had any trouble, well, I have, this year, a LT wire detached itself from the points on my 4T engine, causing it run on one cyclinder. Coming back from the John Bull rally, an A7SS had a missfire when leaving the ferry, which got steadily worse. The cause was the nut in the centre of the mag holding the contacts on had vibrated loose. both problems fixable by the roadside, but no one with electronic ignition had encountered a problem.
So hope that clears up what appeared to be paradox. I'm with you Itma, keep using the points.

Why do I always seem to spell cylinder as cyclinder when I type?Edited by - ajaygray on 28 Jun 2006 5:05:18 PM
Dave Rudd

Matchless G80 1959

Post by Dave Rudd »

I'm new to this forum, but I wanted to ask itma if he knew my uncle, Jim Rudd, when he worked at AMC in Plumstead in the 1960's.

I've inherited Jim's AJS, but would love to hear any stories or recollections. Jim died shortly after the closure in 1968/69.

Many thanks for any help, itma.

Dave