Cartridge Oil Filter for G12

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
billy mcknight

Post by billy mcknight »

I am considering fitting a cartridge oil filter to my 1959 G12 and wonder what the views are of owners who have fitted this type of filter? My main concern is where to house it, could I for example fit it under the swinging arm area to make it less conspicous? I have read CG's excellent piece in the technical articles called "All about oil filtration" well worth a read. I have also looked at Old Biker Bert's British Bike site and the filters described there are Citroen 2CV type housings I think I could pick one of those up easily enough. Has anyone fitted the ones advertised in the OBM by a company called ANGLO-NIHON if so how did they find them? I would be gratefull for any thoughts on the issue. Thankyou.
RogerJ

Post by RogerJ »

I've fitted the filter from Paul Goff (http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyoil.htm),which is based on the Citroen 2CV filter, on my 1960 31. I've put it under the seat and behind the oil tank so it is completely out of the way. I modifed the mounting bracket that came with the kit so that I could use the hole in the frame that the horn is attached to and then ran a longer bolt to the tool box to make sure it was fully supported - although I'm sure there are other configurations that would work.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Hello, I have fitted a Honda CBR/Transalp/Africa Twin/Hawk oil filter catridge to my 1960 M31 (this filter has more flow capacity than needed and one can get a replacent practically anywhere in the world without much trouble). It is fitted in series (before) with a Citroen 2CV oil readiator. I have fitted the oil radiator between the cyliders and the 2 down-tubes, where the dinamo would go if Lady Jane were not an alternator model. The filter is fitted betwenn the two down-tubes, onto the plate that holds the engine to the frame, makes a perfect base (very easy to modify) and looks very neat and tidy, also helps to cool the oil. I spent a long time thinking whether to put the filter where it is now or hidden under the seat or in the tool-box. As Lady Jane is not 100% original (oil radiator and pipes, handle bars, seat) I decided to install the filter where it would be most practical. In my case, don't forget I already had the radiator installed, it is up front, because: less piping, helps cool the oil and very easy and clean to change. I have some photos I can send you if you wish, they are very heavy (600Kb each). Hope all this has been of some help to you. I live in Argentina.
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Forgot to say that the main reason that I installed the oil filter is to use her with 20w-50 oil. Needless to say that before changing over to multigrade I cleaned out the engine and oil tank VERY, BUT VERY WELL.
lawrence

Post by lawrence »

quote:
I've fitted the filter from Paul Goff

Good man is Paul, pleasant , helpful and genuine. I have one of his filters and have had good cause to thank it. It must have a purolator filter cartridge though.The Honda sounds a great idea too.

He loves cats too. Gave me a great recipe for fricaseeing them in garlic.