My first Matchless is here!!

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
Mick D

Re: My first Matchless is here!!

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Try tightening the five screws on the clutch pressure plate, easily visible in your photo. Tighten them until the stud is flush with the head and see if that makes a difference. If it does adjust them individually to get the pressure plate lifting off evenly.

Regards Mick

Edited to add - The chain case looks like it has been run dry - check the chain, sprockets and bearings for wear.
Last edited by Mick D on Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

My next question would I be better off getting this mag refurbished instead of using the one which is on the bike currently? It is an SR1, does that eliminate the need for the adv/ret lever on the bars?

markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

The screws don't seem to want to go in much more than this...

Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

That's a better photo - how many clutch plates are fitted? - looks like you are a couple short or have a mismatch of clutch components.

Regards Mick
clive

Post by clive »

The SR1 mag does not require an advance retard lever on the handlebar but it does require an auto advance unit (sprung bob weights attached to the mag sprocket) which should be under the bulge on your timing cover. By the way I did not have to have an MOT or show that the bike was running when it was inspected for an Age Related plate. I believe it simply had to be a complete machine.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

clive wrote:By the way I did not have to have an MOT or show that the bike was running when it was inspected for an Age Related plate. I believe it simply had to be a complete machine.
Hi

Yes, that's correct, but frame engine and, I think, gearbox numbers will be checked.

Mark

I'm not sure but your plate directly below the pressure plate looks wrong.

You need to find a dynamo sprocket, lock washer, nut and drive chain - see why you need a list ;)

Regards Mick
Last edited by Mick D on Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markwhitelock

Post by markwhitelock »

clive wrote:The SR1 mag does not require an advance retard lever on the handlebar but it does require an auto advance unit (sprung bob weights attached to the mag sprocket) which should be under the bulge on your timing cover. By the way I did not have to have an MOT or show that the bike was running when it was inspected for an Age Related plate. I believe it simply had to be a complete machine.
Yes, I've got an extra bit with a cog and bob weights attached to it. What sort of cost is involved in repairing bits like that though?
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

It depends on the condition of the mag, you're probably looking at a four week plus turn around time and starting cost of around £100, if the armature needs to be rewound add another £150 ish. If the one that's fitted works and you're not a rivet counter why not live with that one for a while?

Regards Mick
willowbedone

Post by willowbedone »

markwhitelock wrote:The screws don't seem to want to go in much more than this...

Hi bike looks great Looking at the picture it looks like clutch adjustment could be the problem May be worth undoing the centre nut and slackening the centre screw to see if it's been adjusted wrong
Ian
raffles

Post by raffles »

The SR1 magneto does not have a wound armature its a revolving magnet with the coils
in the housing in many peoples opinion the best mag for a single I have just had one restored
for £156.oo The last one I had done was 31 years ago never had a problem since
I also have a 1956 G80s originally exported to Rhodesia (zimbabwe) .No problem getting
age related plate. All the numbers match and export was never mentioned