AMC gearbox kickstart return spring problem

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
velocette

AMC gearbox kickstart return spring problem

Post by velocette »

A fellow Club member has had a persistent problem with the AMC gear box kick start return springs failing on his 1959 G12, with the end tag of the spring pulling out of the retaining hole in the inner casing. Despite fitting new springs the problem persists. I am shortly to visit to try to resolve this problem, which is new to me and I would appreciate any advice and guidance re. possible solutions.
Thanking you in anticipation.
ianw1

Re: AMC gearbox kickstart return spring problem

Post by ianw1 »

Could it be that the retaining hole is elongated? Allowing the tag to slip out?
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

velocette wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:45 pm the end tag of the spring pulling out of the retaining hole in the inner casing
Hi

That doesn't sound like an AMC gearbox - on an AMC there is a dowel pin in the inner cover around which a hook on the end of the kick start spring loops. The other end of the spring is bent at 90 degrees and locates into a drilling on the kick start shaft.
KS Spring.png
Regards Mick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

The dowel pin is on the later MA type AMC box from ‘63 on, the earlier M type ones do have two holes but I’ve never had a problem with the spring pulling out of the casing I usually find that the hole on the KS shaft is mullered. If the casing hole is damaged I would look for the later type inner casing with the dowel pin, you might even get one from Andover Norton.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Reynard24 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:08 pm The dowel pin is on the later MA type AMC box from ‘63 on, the earlier M type ones do have two holes
Ooops, my bad
Reynard24 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:08 pm If the casing hole is damaged I would look for the later type inner casing with the dowel pin,
If the hole is damaged it may be possible get a pin turned up and screw it into the case, then use the later spring. Has anyone done this?

Regards Mick
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Mick D wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:26 pm [
Reynard24 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:08 pm If the casing hole is damaged I would look for the later type inner casing with the dowel pin,
If the hole is damaged it may be possible get a pin turned up and screw it into the case, then use the later spring. Has anyone done this?

Regards Mick
I think the inner cases on one of my old gearboxes had been drilled and tapped adjacent to the spring hole to use a screw and washer to hold the spring down in its allotted hole, it was a bit of a mess so not really necessarily recommending it.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Reynard24 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:08 pm The dowel pin is on the later MA type AMC box from ‘63 on, the earlier M type ones do have two holes but I’ve never had a problem with the spring pulling out of the casing I usually find that the hole on the KS shaft is mullered. If the casing hole is damaged I would look for the later type inner casing with the dowel pin, you might even get one from Andover Norton.
Is the outer casing different too as there is less of a bush for the kickstart shaft?
Groily

Post by Groily »

I think the inner cases on one of my old gearboxes had been drilled and tapped adjacent to the spring hole to use a screw and washer to hold the spring down in its allotted hole, it was a bit of a mess so not really necessarily recommending it.
I've done exactly that on one of mine Mick / Duncan. Not the best solution, I agree with you, but has worked for years of regular use, no problems. If it falls apart, then I'll make the pin and get the later type spring!
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

If the angle of the tag is too shallow it will pop out off the inner case hole. The hole its self could be damaged also. I usually set the spring tag with more off an acute raked back angle that promotes a grip into the hole as the spring tensions. Also I tend to peen around the hole once the spring is in.
If you go down the peg adaption as the later boxes adopted then both inner and outer cases are required.
Mollbhan

Post by Mollbhan »

I had the same problem, 61 G12, I drilled a hole beside the existing hole and screwed in a washer to hold the spring in, finished off with a dollop of JB weld. No more problems in 2 years. I don't think one of the newer springs can be fitted as it has too many coils.