wiring route

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
AJSOWNER

wiring route

Post by AJSOWNER »

I'd welcome some advice about the route for wiring to the rear light as I near completion of a restoration of a 1961 AJS Mod31.
I can see that there are some clips to the underside of the mudguard from the offside support bracket back towards the rear light - so that part seems straightforward. But at what point does the wire cable dive under the mudguard and how is it held in position? Maybe there should be a hole? Also where should the horn mount? Any help much appreciated.
Eric

wiring route

Post by Eric »

The cable emerges from the mudguard about 2" forward of the the support bracket (there is no hole) but in my case (1960 G9) on the nearside with the same mudguards as yours. The horn should have four thin triangular shaped plates stacked together like playing cards to allow for vibration. The single hole at the apex of the triangular plates is used for fixing to the centre of the horn, whilst the two holes at the base of the triangle are attached with bolts to a bracket at the top of the seat tube or thats how it looks without pulling things further apart. See how that looks for your bike and then ask again if it makes no sense.Edited by - Eric on 30 Dec 2006 11:37:14 PM
AJSOWNER

wiring route

Post by AJSOWNER »

Thanks - very helpful. Is the cable anchored in some way as it emerges from the mudguard? The clips are all rearward of the support bracket so it would seem to be unsupported as it emerges. Am I missing a clip or maybe there should be a clip on the nut at the back of the rear support bracket?