Factory tools.

Where is that old bike?
skydiver

Factory tools.

Post by skydiver »

Many years ago the club obtained the factory records the club also took possession of all of the factory tools...Does the club still have them?
ajscomboman

Re: Factory tools.

Post by ajscomboman »

We do indeed have a selection of factory tools. At one point they were available for members to use but not anymore. Over the years we have loaned out tools and they were lost. One chap passed suddenly and the family tossed all his gear inc our tool in the bin.
griffin

Post by griffin »

ajscomboman wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:27 pm We do indeed have a selection of factory tools. At one point they were available for members to use but not anymore. Over the years we have loaned out tools and they were lost. One chap passed suddenly and the family tossed all his gear inc our tool in the bin.
Are the tools just normal run of the mill stuff or something special and are there any pictures of them ??
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I wonder what "tools " you are referring to? There are tool box tools pictured in parts lists. There are special tools for fitting / removing parts. There would also be special tools an jigs for making parts.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

griffin wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:51 am Are the tools just normal run of the mill stuff or something special and are there any pictures of them ??
The only special tool that I've used is a puller to extract the fork stanchions from the sliders. Our section has a home made loan one.
I think the only other 'special' tool I'd need would be one to remove the tappet guides on a single but I've never had to do it.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
OEW591

Post by OEW591 »

Seems a shame to have the factory tools as 'museum pieces'. Are there not skills within the club to make some replica sets for loan to members, or could they be made available at Kettering for members to use without removing them from the premises? Another source of revenue if they were hired to members??? or non-members come to that!
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

The tools were hired out, that's why some have gone missing and others returned with bit's either broken or missing. By all means they can be used as templates but the originals will remain museum pieces!
OEW591

Post by OEW591 »

That's what I meant, use the replicas and retain the originals as patterns. If the factory had a tool to do a job, why 're-invent the wheel'. Similarly, I wouldn't expect original engineering drawings to be loaned, hired or otherwise provided to parts manufacturers. I know the Classic Bike article suggests that manufacturing processes have changed for many reasons, but if a part was hardened originally, it should still be hardened otherwise it will not be fit for purpose, even if made to the correct dimensions. If only the club had a complete set of parts drawings or original components to use as patterns.......
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

I think we may've travelled this path before and I recall that it developed a bit of acrimony. I think that was more focussed on factory drawings

From what I recall, previous Committees have tried to deal with this and it didn't end well - someone will step in and put me right.

Johnny B
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Drawing for Jampot compression.
http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Do- ... n_tool.pdf
File I made for prewar Wolverhampton AJS Tools. Pictures of the tools and tools in use.
http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Gen ... _TOOLS.pdf
Couple of post war tools in use
2.jpg
1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.