Rear wheel lock nut, adjusting ring and speedo

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
John Carney

Rear wheel lock nut, adjusting ring and speedo

Post by John Carney »

Hi,
Apologies if this is a bit long winded.

I've recently got the AJS back on the road and all was going well for a week or so and a number of miles, however the speedo stopped working and on checking the cable had broken at the speedo gear end due to it being pulled round the wheel.
I cleaned it up / regreased but it felt as if it was slightly catching now and again but thought I'd try it without the cable connected to see if it would be OK or not. Adjusted the rear wheel bearing at the same time. Hand tightening the adjusting ring until it stopped, backed off half a turn and hand tightened the lock nut for the adjusting ring and then tapped it round further with a screwdriver and hammer with some locktite 2400 threadlocker applied just in case so I thought it would be fine.
15 miles later I got home to realise that not only had the speedo gear moved but the adjusting ring had come undone and spun so strongly onto the speedo gear it was jammed together and the speedo gear was bent out of shape.

so my questions are-
is there a proper tool available to tighten the lock nut for the adjusting ring ?
Any thoughts on what I've done wrong for this to happen and to avoid the adjusting ring coming undone in the future ?
dave16mct

Re: Rear wheel lock nut, adjusting ring and speedo

Post by dave16mct »

This usually caused by incorrect assembly of the oilseal and cup on the speedo drive side. There are several drawings, articles and one sectioned rear hub in the photo section showing the correct assenbly. Do a search for rear wheel lock up.
Dave.
clive

Post by clive »

Get a new drivebox. As they wear it is possible for the worm to cross with the drive gear and the whole lot can lock up. The slight catching now and again was a symptom. Do check that the parts are assembled properly as suggested by Dave but look for a new drivebox. Sounds as though from the damage you need to anyway. If the drivebox locked at speed I doubt however hard you locked the adjuster it would have stayed in place.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
John Carney

Post by John Carney »

So, The rubber oil seal fits 'in' the cup on both sides of the front wheel ? The drum side of the rear wheel, but on the outside of the cup on the speedo drive box side ? is that right ??

If so I did have it 'in' the cup on the speedo side.

The speedo drivebox is a write off, and I suspect ?? it may have 'caught' and loosened the adjusting ring and lock nut and subsequently spun into the speedo drive so I will replace it and make up a C spanner for the lock nut for the adjusting ring.
On the plus side, by the looks of things, I was very lucky that I just made it home and didn't end up in A&E with a rear wheel lock up, as it must have been about to happen ! Thanks
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

John Carney wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:12 pm So, The rubber oil seal fits 'in' the cup on both sides of the front wheel ? The drum side of the rear wheel, but on the outside of the cup on the speedo drive box side ? is that right ??
Rear hub by Biscuit.jpg
If you haven't found it, the full article with annotated parts description is here:

https://www.jampot.com/pic_display.asp?id=820
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
John Carney

Post by John Carney »

Thanks Spriddler, That's the one article I hadn't found and clearly explains things and it looks like I did have the seal in the wrong place as Dave and Clive suspected :oops: . Just need to sort out the damage now :lol: !
McBob

Post by McBob »

Good time to buy a lotto ticket as well I reckon