Dynamo Rebuild

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
laxy

Dynamo Rebuild

Post by laxy »

Rikki, thanks for the offer of the photos,yes they would be of use to me for refrence.Maybe you could post them on the website or by email to hickmansl6@aol.com whatever suits you sir.
regards KEITH.
paul knapp

Dynamo Rebuild

Post by paul knapp »

quote: you can solder the tail leads to carbon brushes
....just on an interesting technical point, I believe the carbon must be 'copper plated' first for the solder to adhere. Never done it myself, but a mate here who makes his own brushes up to suit various magnetos & generators he restores does it this way.
Paul
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

itma

Dynamo Rebuild

Post by itma »

was`nt there some trick with a copper sulphate solution to over come this?
lawrence

Dynamo Rebuild

Post by lawrence »

Just as an endnote see 'dynamo oil leak ~ the search for enlightenment' if you are wondering whether to strip a dynamo yourself or get an 'expert' to do it.

I am NEVER sending anything to an expert again unless it is something impossible to do in an amateur workshop.
Don Madden

Dynamo Rebuild

Post by Don Madden »

Careful, Lawrence, lest we designate you the "expert" & dump all our problems on your heap.
Rikki White

Dynamo Rebuild

Post by Rikki White »

I’m please to report that I’ve finally re-fitted my dynamo and it appears to be working well. The re-build has cost approximately £40 which included a new Lucas brush backing plate, bearings, oil seal, spacer, brush set, springs, retaining plate and some new screws. All the parts were supplied by Paul Dunn (Tel No 01782 856839) who was very helpful and delivery was also excellent (I posted a cheque on Thursday and received the parts the following Monday morning).

So fingers crossed an all round success with the added benefit that my dynamo is now no longer the mysterious object it once was.

Many thanks again for everyone’s help and encouragement.

Rikki

lolski

Dynamo Rebuild

Post by lolski »

Hi rikki good to hear you made a go of rebulding your dynamo its gives you a better understanding of how things work and build your knowledge of your bike and a sence of acheivement.

regards laurence
lawrence

Dynamo Rebuild

Post by lawrence »

quote:
my dynamo is now no longer the mysterious object it once was.

That's the joy of doing it yourself. Not only do you get greater satisfaction but you also become an expert for the website. Well done Rikki
Biscuit
Deceased

Dynamo Rebuild

Post by Biscuit »

And of course you save money my son oi oi!

It is good to say 'I told you so' when it is a satisfactory outcome.