General purpose topics/chat goes in here
MartinAmes

Re: Centre stand

Post by MartinAmes »

I arc welded mine with no problems.
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Oh by the way Club Spares are having some new centre stands fabricated as we speak. The castings have been completed and by way of good modification's they will come with an easy on type lever - very similar to a well known replacement!

Steve
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Rangy65 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 7:33 pm Oh by the way Club Spares are having some new centre stands fabricated as we speak. The castings have been completed and by way of good modification's they will come with an easy on type lever - very similar to a well known replacement!

Steve
oh behave, they're nothing like my stands!
OEW591

Post by OEW591 »

At the risk of stirring up a hornets nest, why are the club spares having stands manufactured when Rob's stands are available and work very well? Wouldn't it better to invest in parts that are not currently available from anyone? At the very least it would seem to make sense to stock Rob's stands at Kettering.
MalcW

Post by MalcW »

OEW591 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:13 am At the risk of stirring up a hornets nest, why are the club spares having stands manufactured when Rob's stands are available and work very well? Wouldn't it better to invest in parts that are not currently available from anyone? At the very least it would seem to make sense to stock Rob's stands at Kettering.
Seems sensible to me. I've fitted them to 3 bikes and they are a game changer.

Malc
blackadder1952

Post by blackadder1952 »

My thoughts exactly.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

OEW591 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:13 am At the risk of stirring up a hornets nest, why are the club spares having stands manufactured when Rob's stands are available and work very well? Wouldn't it better to invest in parts that are not currently available from anyone? At the very least it would seem to make sense to stock Rob's stands at Kettering.

It would make sense for the club to stock Robs stands but as he will not supply the club we have to have stock available for all members.
Roy
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

G15 Roy wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:59 pm

It would make sense for the club to stock Robs stands but as he will not supply the club we have to have stock available for all members.
That's not quite true is it, I wouldn't supply the stand for the amount you wanted to pay. My stands are available to all members and non-members.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

So that really helps the club.
Roy
OEW591

Post by OEW591 »

[/quote]

This doesn't make sense to me. As Rob says his stands are already available to members and non-members and the club doesn't look to stock things like exhausts because they are available from other suppliers. Is there an element of bloody-mindedness going on because there was no agreement on price, so lets compete rather than compromise?

I would suggest that the limited funds available for purchasing new spares could be better spent on stocking parts not currently available from anyone or restocking items listed as 'no stock' on the website.

I find it difficult to believe that the design of the stand can be an improvement on Rob's design, which to my knowledge can be operated easily by an 85 year old member, whereas the original design was impossible to use.