General purpose topics/chat goes in here
tillo8

Centre stand

Post by tillo8 »

Is the centre stand cast iron and is it an easy welding job
Taid

Re: Centre stand

Post by Taid »

Won't be Cast Iron .. I suspect Cast Steel, or maybe ductile cast iron but others will know for certain ..

The modified type is a steel fabrication ..
Last edited by Taid on Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
___

Now sold ... 1956 AJS 16MS Bitsa .. HSU 414 .. rebuilt/re-registered 1987
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

Don't know what it is, but I've successfully mig welded a crack
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

I think the stands are ductile cast iron (same as footrests). It is able to be bent without cracking. The tubular cross piece/s is/are normal mild steel tube which are brazed into the outer legs. I think it will be better to braze the outer legs if required
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

The cross piece on my stand corroded through and broke. I cut the tube ends flush with the legs and turned up a solid replacement, the ends reduced in diameter to fit inside the original tube stubs. I then had it all brazed together and it has been good for the last 10 years. Andy
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

This is usually where I jump in and get chased by the adverts police for mentioning my ones! :rofl:
4236483_stock-vector-binoculars-spy.jpg
I am watching you Mr President
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Groily

Post by Groily »

But a Happy Punter is always allowed to comment on suppliers n'est-ce pas?

There's this bloke . . . and the bits he flogs transform the whole business of getting these bikes onto their legs. I can do my Mod 20 while still straddling the bike, it's that easy. I ought to get another one really, probably will some point even though the 650's isn't k-nackered like the other one was.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Groily wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:49 pm But a Happy Punter is always allowed to comment on suppliers n'est-ce pas?

There's this bloke . . . and the bits he flogs transform the whole business of getting these bikes onto their legs. I can do my Mod 20 while still straddling the bike, it's that easy. I ought to get another one really, probably will some point even though the 650's isn't k-nackered like the other one was.
Well you'll be ok Bill another batch is being welded as we speak! Ooh, did I just drop in an advert by mistake? :rofl:
shaunstaples

Post by shaunstaples »

I can vouch for the other batch!
Balance is perfect, probably about 10% effort getting on the stand, compared with my original one.
Just the right effort required getting off the stand, to make it safe and not roll off.
Good clearance off ground on back wheel.
Really well made, makes a change to get something that your 100% happy with :thumbup: :beer:
MatthewC

Post by MatthewC »

I think the side castings are probably malleable cast iron, while the centre tube is probably a low carbon steel, it's brazed in. I've built the feet up on mine with weld (preheating the stand first) and filed them back to shape. It welded easily enough with no obvious cracks, but it hasn't been tested with the weight of the bike on it yet.