NEW EXHAUST PIPES...WHERE FROM?

Information relating to the Matchless G12 or AJS Model 31 650cc twin
Joker_Bones

Re: NEW EXHAUST PIPES...WHERE FROM?

Post by Joker_Bones »

Reynard24 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:59 pm Yes, cigar shaped silencers, fitted to singles and twins from 1963 on and which he says are produced to the original English documentation.
:thumbup:
LynP

Post by LynP »

I have just fitted/attempted to fit a pair of Armours exhaust pipes to my 1961 G12 alternator bike. I say attempted because the pipes will not go fully into the cylinder head and the pipe is tight up under the alternator bulge; (looking at various pictured of my model a gap is clearly visible between pipe and the alternator bulge, of perhaps 1/2" or so). As would be expected I had to slot the hole in the bracket to get it to fit the lower mount. I am wondering if that side pipe might fit a mag/Dyno model OK because of the smaller bulge in the primary case of that model. In the past Armours have said their pipes are made to original manufacturer's design!
The megaphones look to be lined up OK. The off side pipe does not seem to be quite right into the head, but I have not decided what I could do there yet. Am I experiencing the usual problem with pipes from Armours, I know there have been issues in previous posts. I can't send these back as I've had them in storage for a while. Finally, does anyone know if Armours siammese pipe fit OK? Thank you for any thoughts l/experiences with pipes. LynP
Last edited by LynP on Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

My Armours siamese pipes fitted ok, just the usual messing about to fit to the extended nut. They are stainless steel though, not everyones favourite.
Dave.
Andy G

Post by Andy G »

Same experience with a 31 csr. Siamesed pipes from Armours do fit with some wiggling, however I ended up fitting the upper cross over piece the wrong way up and can't be bothered to change it now!
Bombling contentedly around rural Aberdeenshire
LynP

Post by LynP »

Thank you Andy and Dave for your experiences with Siamese pipes, I may decide to go down that route if I can't get a solution to the fit of the twin pipe problems I have.
greasemonkey

Post by greasemonkey »

i bought a set of stainless siamese pipes from Armours.at first they did not appear to fit very well,coudnt get both pipes pushed in fully in the head with the pipes fully together at the joint.got around it by putting a ratcheting luggage strap round the rear of the barrels and around the front of the pipes.i found that this when tensioned pushed both pipes fully into the head and the two pipes were acceptably in to each other at the joint.left the strap on and tensioned until i had made a modified exhaust/frame mounting bracket.tightened everything up before releasing the tension on the strap.bikes done a few hundred miles since and so far no problems.cheers all Greasemonkey