Engine assembly

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Steve

Engine assembly

Post by Steve »

Hi guys I will shortly be re-assembling my engine
AJS 350 16 MS 1953
However being stupid when I striped it I neglected to take any photos. Well it is a fairly simple engine, So I've got the Pitmans book of the AJS but it's not very detailed with regard to engine assembly. So is there any detailed information preferably something along the lines of an exploded diagram showing where all the parts go shims spacers especially.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
SPRIDDLER

Re: Engine assembly

Post by SPRIDDLER »

There are exploded engine drawings here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Cut ... _drawings/

This is probably the best one (note the position of the two different spacers between the main bearings):

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Cut ... d_View.jpg

and a useful guide by Ken Bryant (aka 'ITMA' a past Forum contributor) here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Spe ... _Mechanics.

The most critical shims are those on the valve cam axles. You'll find all end float figures here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... ndards.pdf

Note that the 'Remarks' on page 9 in the manual refer to the 'longer' inlet cam axle which is for the Matchless engine with the mag located behind the cylinder whereas on your AJS (mag in front of the cylinder) the mag drive sprocket is on the 'longer' exhaust cam axle. The end float is the same for both AJS and Matchless.
To ascertain the end float for your 'blind' inlet axle fit too many shims, then fit the outer cover (it will not close up), and measure the gap. Then remove shims to leave around 1 to 5 thou end float.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Steve

Post by Steve »

Excellent thanks Spriddler I've noticed that you seem to have answers for most problems thanks for sharing your knowledge.

that second second one is exactly what I needed and the 2 spacers you mention as i was working on that side engine case outside in the sun and the inner bearing and spacers dropped out as the case got so hot, so knowing how those spacers go in is great.
I just need to order a gasket set when my pension goes in and then I can make a start slowly putting it back together.

does anyone supply new oil pipes, the feed and return as i think mine are so hard they don't seal very well.

Stephen
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Steve wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:08 am Excellent thanks Spriddler I've noticed that you seem to have answers for most problems thanks for sharing your knowledge'
Much of it passed down courtesy of the Forum Elders although some from my 35 years with my own 350 and 500 singles (I've never been interested in twins).
...does anyone supply new oil pipes, the feed and return as i think mine are so hard they don't seal very well.
I've not come across any supplier of 'ready-to-fit' all copper pipes.
Are the pipes copper all the way? Mine have been modified with copper stubs and 'rubber' pipe between them which makes it easier to get the end of the pipe to be absolutely square with the mating face at the engine end.
If your pipes have soldered end fittings a weep can occur if the soldering isn't 100% as this allows oil to creep out between the pipe and the end fitting rather than at the end fitting to engine mating surfaces.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

Acme Stainless do a selection of copper oil pipes and fittings...

https://acmestainless.co.uk/product-cat ... cba1185463
Steve

Post by Steve »

I've just had a look and although it's hard to get the nut fixings back enough for a good look, I'd say that they are all copper but the flanges are distorted
Steve

Post by Steve »

Joker_Bones wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:44 pm Acme Stainless do a selection of copper oil pipes and fittings...

https://acmestainless.co.uk/product-cat ... cba1185463
That looks like a handy site thanks
Steve

Post by Steve »

just thinking that the acme ready made pipes although very handy they are rather expensive as I'm on pension.

I'm wondering if I got some 3/8" & 7/16" copper tube and 3/8" & 7/16" olives whether that would work, even if I have to solder the olives on.

has anyone tried doing this?
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

IMG_20220412_165315.jpg
I haven't made up copper pipes...
I have made up a rubber pipe alternative.
The tricky part was getting rubber pipes to stay routed out of the way of the top of the centre stand legs as the stand folds away.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Joker_Bones wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:05 pm
I haven't made up copper pipes...
I have made up a rubber pipe alternative.
The tricky part was getting rubber pipes to stay routed out of the way of the top of the centre stand legs as the stand folds away.
That looks neat have you a list of the parts used and where purchased from please.