New Member / New Owner

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
wak1309

New Member / New Owner

Post by wak1309 »

Hi All,
I've taken the plunge after wanting a classic bike for a few years, and finally acquired a1955 Matchless 500cc Parallel Twin G9 (I think that's the correct title).
Are there any members here from / near Sheffield that can recommend a knowledgeable service establishment. The bike runs and rides, and is in great condition (I think) but I want to use it for pleasure and would love to have the confidence, in as much as a classic can give, that it will be safe and hopefully reasonably reliable.

Many thanks in advance.
Lee
griffin

Re: New Member / New Owner

Post by griffin »

https://www.billlomasmotorcycles.co.uk/
Bill Lomas motorcycles aren't too far away from Sheffield , just the other side of Chesterfield. The proprietor David Lander is a club member and an expert on all things AMC.
shaunstaples

Post by shaunstaples »

Hi Lee, I recently got myself a 1952 Ajs model 20 and have been working through all its niggles. I waited for my birthday to get out on it, and have been out half a dozen times now, not too far yet still having to think about which foot!
I’m at S20 and just retired so usually either in the garage or garden. Still early days, but had a lot of help on here. Not sure on service as I’m out of touch with everything, Bill lomas has been recommended to me too, also Bantam John under new ownership at staveley for British spares has been mentioned.
Don’t think you can beat club spares for parts and plenty of reading on here.
Hope to see you out and about.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome to the Forums, Lee.
I don't know much about twins (there are many on here who do) but if you haven't already found the Archives have a look under 'Books' in the link below where you'll find the original factory Owners Manual, Workshop Manual and Parts List. Club spares dep't uses the same original part numbers. :thumbup:
Link to the Archives:

http://archives.jampot.dk/

Sprid.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
tonupturner

Post by tonupturner »

Welcome!
wak1309

Post by wak1309 »

Hi Guys,
Thank you all for the pointers :thumbup: :thumbup:
I'll obvioously do a bit of reading up and get in touch with Bill Lomas too.

Cheers!