Burman 52 gearbox - clutch issue

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
G3L1946

Re: Burman 52 gearbox - clutch issue

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi Spriddler,

Thanks, clear instructions that even I can follow. My small concern is how to aligned the gear shift assembly ( parts as previously mentioned ) once I have removed the cover. I’ve trawled through the links given and found various articles but nothing on alignment. I’ll just stare at it until I have a Eureka moment ( or nod off).

Thanks,

Steve
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

A quick look found this on page 73 in the workshop manual which may help....

EDIT.

It wouldn't help, as it was the wrong info (well-spotted by Groily), so I've removed it to avoid confusion.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Ooooooo eck! Thanks Spriddler. That looks like the missing link I needed.
Brilliant, got side tracked to Morrison’s for emergency groceries so will start, in earnest, tomorrow. Hopefully, I can report back with some success.

Cheers,

Steve
Groily

Post by Groily »

Hang on a sec! I think that's the description of the CP Box Neville.

Page 76 of that manual is where the B52 bit starts isn't it? Saying that faulty selection with these boxes is almost always due to a worn or sticky detent plunger, or maybe worn pins in the selector rods, but without saying anything about getting the register correct.

None of the books in the archives that I looked at describe the setting up of the barrel cam selector method clearly (imho) - just saying 'put back as was'. Somewhere I've got something on the B52 (but not in my Neill on the Twins) explaining how to proceed - couldn't find it earlier though.

Key thing is getting the plunger in the right recess for the gear you're in (or neutral) when you do it, with unworn pins in the selector rods engaging with an unfubarred track on the barrel.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Yes, that is all could find ‘ replacement is reversal…..’. Very silent on alignment etc.

Steve
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Groily wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:17 pm Hang on a sec! I think that's the description of the CP Box Neville.

Page 76 of that manual is where the B52 bit starts isn't it?
:roll: :oops:
You're quite right.
I just scrolled to the index at the end at the end of the manual and snipped whatever was there without reading it properly.
I was interrupted in mid post by a Water Board Operative knocking on the door to let me know that, quote: "In order to improve our service we will be cutting off your water supply for about 6 hours to replace a street water main pipe").
Groily

Post by Groily »

God Bless people in peaked hats with a sticker on their shirt Neville.
Had one here the other day saying he had to change the water meter (already changed very recently for a 'remote read' one) because the responsibility for the supply had shifted from local Area A to local Area B - and - yup, Area B can't read the new meter put in (down a deep 'ole) by Area A. Couldn't make it up. Software sharing, anyone?
In the old days, ONE bloke did the whole village. To come and update us takes TWO, natch. They hunt in packs. They'll be back . . .

Back on point though, I've got a bit dragged into this. There is sweet nothing of any use out there on the reassembly of the gear selector mechanism for the B52 'box. Loads of good exploded views, some useful tidbits from Ariel people, a bit from Vincent Comet peeps, stuff referring to previous posts on here, a few You Tubes which don't help (but plenty on CPs).
Obviously regarded as 'Easy' or self-evident, by Neill, Pitman and others. But it's not so darn simples, as many have discovered when they've created their very own 3, 2 or No speed 'boxes!

Do it with the shafts set to neutral Steve - that's what works for me!
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi guys,
Like me you’ve trawled the internet and all the usual ports of call. Non of the various books or manuals, that I have, helps with this particular issue. It does seem that it’s considered such a straightforward and easy job! Yeah, right!
All the best,

Steve
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

It seems strange that there seems to be so little info on indexing. However, a search of the Forums using B52 Gear Indexing throws up a number of posts but without any definitive instructions except for this one which may help, although it isn't exactly your issue.

viewtopic.php?p=157873#p157873

There's a similar post ref loss of gears after a B52 gearbox rebuild which was traced (apparently :? ) to the new owner fitting a gasket (which it should have) whereas the PO had used only a sealant, e.g. Hylomar. It seems that just the small thickness of the gasket prevented full engagement of the indexing dimples.
Groily

Post by Groily »

Hope I got the barrel indents right for the gears in that old one you refer Neville!