Burman 52 gearbox - clutch issue

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
SPRIDDLER

Re: Burman 52 gearbox - clutch issue

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Groily wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:32 pm Hope I got the barrel indents right for the gears in that old one you refer Neville!
I understand your anxiety, Bill. I'm quite often not sure whether or not to stick my neck above the parapet by posting a reply on here as the memory plays tricks and some posts can develop with a variety of confusing possibilities.

(However I can say with some certainty that I have never fondled a government Special Advisor at No. 10).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Groily

Post by Groily »

SPRIDDLER wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:12 pm I understand your anxiety, Bill. I'm quite often not sure whether or not to stick my neck above the parapet by posting a reply on here as the memory plays tricks and some posts can develop with a variety of confusing possibilities.
Ha! So true Neville. (Especially when you haven't got your own one in your hand as you try to describe something and really are in memory-ville.)

But I'm pretty sure that 2016 comment was right (and logically sound): if it hadn't been, someone better informed would have shouted I'm pretty sure.

(As far as I am concerned the only SPADs I have ever 'known' in any sense were made by Airfix. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi all,

Strange or coincidence? I , too, fitted a new gasket!

Steve
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

G3L1946 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:44 pm Hi all,

Strange or coincidence? I , too, fitted a new gasket!

Steve
As most people probably would.

Some solutions are quite inconclusive. Rather like some computer issues can be resolved by turning it off and turning it on again.
E.g. I found a post added to another thread which I didn't quote: A chap couldn't get any gears after refurbishing his B52 so he removed the end cover, but since he couldn't see anything wrong he put the cover back on and it worked perfectly. :roll:
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clive

Post by clive »

Change it to a CP box.......
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi,

Phase1. As suggested, made up an extension using the old ferrule. Filed the inner slot part as a few sharp edges left after sawing it. Will leave nipping up and correcting length after a test fit to obtain best idea of length required. Will also plop a bit of grease inside ferrule prior to slightly closing it up.
Have left additional nut on for belt and braces! Might cover it with heat shrink just to keep any road rubbish out and lubrication in.

So, onto phase 2!

Cheers to all,

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Chiming in on the indexing matter. Thanks. While everything working great on the engine front running in, no leaks or alarms, the B52 / GB box started leaking oil badly. Wish I'd stuck with the slightly ailing and need refurb AMC.

The Burman was refurb by me many (20?) years ago and was working for several thousand miles, oiltight but put the AMC back in as the change was too slow for me. Clearly, lying around on the floor and my ignorant use of red hermetite has struck. I's working perfectly but losing oil apparently from the inner cover to main case gasket. The clutch is so much easier on the Burman.

Back in the day, no internet, I made notes on disassembly and all re-assembled fine. Just have to find the notes - ha ha. I seem to recall that I drew a picture and drew a location line on it for re-setting at a particular gear, I think first.

Johnny B
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Hi,
Still searching for anything that helps the installation / synchro process. Just the usual “ reassembly is in reverse order”! Not overly helpful!

Steve
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Probably not much help but these were the noters I made when dismantling the B52. Note I used a tripewriter - that shows how long ago.

Unfortunately, I appear to have left an indent off the drawing!
B52 indexing_my notes.jpg
Johnny B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
G3L1946

Post by G3L1946 »

Johnny B,

Thanks for the above. I’m sure it will prove most useful. I’m going to tackle the job today after a week away from the workshop so will have the information to hand. I’ll post a review of how I got on
( or didn’t! )

Cheers,

Steve