clutch actuating lever fouling g/box filler cap

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
jerry

clutch actuating lever fouling g/box filler cap

Post by jerry »

I've just found time to investigate my new G3 (1949) a bit more. The clutch actuating lever is actually touching the outer casing and there are witnesses marks on the filler cap. Clutch worked fine on the pre-purchase test ride. Any recommendations please?
Groily

Re: clutch actuating lever fouling g/box filler cap

Post by Groily »

Quite a few possibilities, it's a regular issue . . . here are a few common-ish possible reasons -

*need to adjust pushrod NOT at clutch pressure plate side? (Easy, and primary case DOES NOT need to come off if no easy inspection cover.) (Edited in light of Clive's comment.)
*pushrod too short? (Replace.)
*missing ball bearing or other 'extender' of above? (Check parts lists for correct bits, see Archives referred below.)
*clutch centre not fully home on mainshaft (due to incorrect fitting)? (This would affect primary chain alignment maybe, too.) (More work!)
*use of deeper clutch basket from other model designed to hold more plates; or presence of an additional plate, just perhaps?
*extreme wear on actuating mechanism at timing side? (Have to be pretty extreme though.)
*use of thick gasket(s) on gearbox covers, thus making the pushrod too short? (Not uncommon, and can impact gear selection on some.)
*combination of above?

Plenty of helpful stuff on CP gearboxes in Cyberspace, and also a lot of info in the Archives which are frequently mentioned on here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop_manuals/
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_lists/
Last edited by Groily on Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

jerry wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:41 pm Clutch worked fine on the pre-purchase test ride.
Just to clarify......Is the clutch still working O.K. or has 'something' changed since the test ride?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clive

Post by clive »

If its 49 it should have a CP gearbox. The pushrod is adjusted by removing the cap below the oil filler cap. There is a nut behind and you turn it out to make the pushrod go in, it has to fit back into the nut shaped recession in the cap. The clutch pressure plate will correctly have no adjustment as it is all done from the gearbox side. Of course there is no knowing with a new to you bike what is fitted. Free up the cable adjuster before you do the adjustment. Its a bit hit and miss as unlike the later clutch pressure plates with the adjuster integral its actually only adjust and try with the earlier CP box.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

There's info and illustrations of the mechanism on pages 154 and 155 in the factory workshop manual here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... dition.pdf
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Groily

Post by Groily »

clive wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:57 pm If its 49 it should have a CP gearbox. The pushrod is adjusted by removing the cap below the oil filler cap. There is a nut behind and you turn it out to make the pushrod go in, it has to fit back into the nut shaped recession in the cap. The clutch pressure plate will correctly have no adjustment as it is all done from the gearbox side. Of course there is no knowing with a new to you bike what is fitted. Free up the cable adjuster before you do the adjustment. Its a bit hit and miss as unlike the later clutch pressure plates with the adjuster integral its actually only adjust and try with the earlier CP box.
You're right of course Clive. As the link to the Archives would have reminded me had I not been too idle to open it. So, delete that item from my previous comment unless a later pressure plate is fitted!
jerry

Post by jerry »

Great information, guys. Thank you very much. Have printed the relevant pages, just off to investigate
jerry

Post by jerry »

Having found the adjusting nut had no effect I have finally managed to get out in the garage for deeper investigation. Removed gearbox outer case and also stripped clutch as I have to fit the dynamo anyway. clutch pushrod is very heavily worn round the ball bearing (I presume it should be flat?) and a clutch roller had been added longitudinally to add a bit of length. The kickstart action felt a little stiff and I was impressed to discover that the return spring has been brazed up in 2 places!🙈 I've placed an advert for some bits if anyone has used, good spares please. I've jumped in and bought quite a heap I'm afraid.
jerry

Post by jerry »

Further to my clutch woes: I have refitted the outer G/B case and made a new clutch pushrod (9" 7/8, is this correct?) I can only get a tiny movement on the pushrod as the piece that locates in the operating lever fouls the bush it goes through, ie: it's in as far as it will go. The adjuster nut does not seem to make enough difference to the movement available. On the clutch side, the pushrod is about 3/8" proud of the plates. I must be missing something obvious but can't see it! Any help please? Just had a thought, does it matter which way round the slotted piece goes? is that slot the same whichever way its fitted? Thanks for any input
Steve

Post by Steve »

looking at the spares list 9" 7/8 is correct for the 4 plate clutch part 28-x-56
if you have the 5 plate centre the aluminium part that the plain plates fit onto then its 10" and maybe 1/16 its hard to read part 28-x-57
not sure about the slotted piece maybe check the workshop link Spriddler put up a few posts ago.