'54 18S won't start

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Andy51

'54 18S won't start

Post by Andy51 »

Hi, Last year my '54 18S wouldn't start but a fellow E Berks member (thanks very much, Roger) came over with his electric starter rollers. He rapidly diagnosed valve timing 180 degrees out, re-set it and got the bike started with his rollers. It then started easily with the kickstarter, a job well done! Alas, there has been a lot going on in my life and I haven't ridden it since then. I got the bike out today to prep it for the forthcoming Jampot but couldn't get a cough out of it. The engine is untouched since last year, fresh petrol, good spark, petrol certainly getting through to the tickler, but zero result. Any suggestions/thoughts? Thanks, Andy.
clive

Re: '54 18S won't start

Post by clive »

Clean the points, they oxidise if the bike is left a long time. Just some fine wet and dry folded over and pulled through the closed points a couple of times. Hope that's all it is.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

Hi, was the carb drained? Because this modern E fuel blocks up the carbs in no time at all.
Everyday’s a learning curve.

Post by 1608 »

re-check the timing.
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

Thanks for your suggestions. I cleaned the points and carb, and replaced the nearly new Amal monobloc with an Amal Concentric Mk 1 (both cleaned thoroughly with carb cleaner) that was on the bike a few years ago, flooded it using the tickler - result! It started 1st kick. I realise I have committed the cardinal sin of changing 2 factors at once, so I don't know what the fault was, but who cares, it runs. Cheers, Andy