New oil pump guide pins too long!

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
ajscomboman

Re: New oil pump guide pins too long!

Post by ajscomboman »

[quote

The front brake is correct for 1953 models, btw: ‘52 brake gear, bracket and lever was on the left, switched in ‘53 to the right before re-design of the whole front brake thereafter. Even under compression there is no chance of buckling - it is fixed both ends, so the effective unsupported length is halved and the area moment of inertia is very high, given the bracket is 4.5mm thick and 7/8” wide. I have little confidence that 7” brake will ever be efficient enough to reach anywhere near critical load on the bracket. The fact that bike was ridden up and down Cork’s steepest hill on a daily commute for twenty years with that set-up is assuring enough…
[/quote]

Absolutely no way is that correct for a 53, not sure where the info you read came from but I think you might have read it incorrectly. For 52 the brake adjuster was at the rear of the fork leg with the torque arm forward and the brake arm faced rearwards. For 53 the torque arm remained on the same side (left sitting on the bike) but the adjuster was fitted to the front of the fork and the brake arm now faced forward. Never ever was the arm fitted on the right and it matters not how many years it's been ridden like it, it's wrong! Why noy simply take experienced experts advice and simply fit it as it should be for safety.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Firstly, sometimes in the interests of guarding others safety, points may be made more forcibly. My personal experience is that brake torque arms are not usually under compression and it's great that you are going to amend that.

On topic, what was wrong with the pin that came with the machine? Was there a flat on the business end entering the plunger or was it worn undersize etc? If not, why not use it?

On the plunger front there were changes to the plunger over the years, from the 1 start to the 2 start and also changes to the groove for the pin. You may know this, if so, apologies. I can't recall the details but a search on this forum or with Christian's Archives (mentioned previously) may help.

Good luck.

Johnny B
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

In 1954 the full width alloy front hub and brake assembly was introduced.

This is the 1953 factory sales brochure from the Archives........

http://archives.jampot.dk/promotional/S ... gh_res.pdf

1953 sales brochure 16MS.JPG
1953 sales brochure 18S.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clive

Post by clive »

Come on guys Holger said he is going to change it.......a couple of hours before you chimed in....
You really do need to keep up at the back of the class. :rofl:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

clive wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:54 pm Come on guys Holger said he is going to change it.......a couple of hours before you chimed in....
You really do need to keep up at the back of the class. :rofl:
Ok I'll calm down. I was only trying to save his neck though. I've seen a torque arm fold under braking and I've witnessed one that's been fitted correctly but fretted around the bolt due to it not being kept tight! Both results ended in trips to the hospital, mind you I was the one pushing the wheelchair fortunately.