Single oil return

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
moley

Single oil return

Post by moley »

Hi all

My single doesn’t appear to be returning oil

I have put some through return oil pipe on to see what was happening and when I checked I could see an air bubble appear every fourth kick or so so although on kicks 12 and 3 the oil level was going up but because of the air bubble the level returns to what it was originally

I made sure the pump guide pin is properly located and it is the pump is working , i reseated the end plate as many suggested it’s sucking air some air via not sealing on the end plate

Now can’t see any air bubbles and oil is going up the pipe for two kicks but then on the third the level goes down but can’t see any air bubbles

Any ideas

Cheers

Andy
SPRIDDLER

Re: Single oil return

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Were the above observations made after draining the c/case?

Were the above observations made after draining and refilling the oil tank? If so, maybe there's still some air remaining in the oil feed pipe. :?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ray.woolford

Post by ray.woolford »

I spoke badgers with spoon was bad enough!
moley

Post by moley »

Hi spriddler yes they were made after emptying andnrefilling oil tank

Perhaps I’ll try firing it up tomorrow and see if any different !!

Ta

Andy
clive

Post by clive »

Without priming the sump after drainig it can result in taking ages to get a return to.the tank. There should be plenty of oil about so once I did not reprime the sump, normally I pour some oil down the pushrod tubes. On the occasion I did not for a test it took 8 minutes for the return to recommence.even I was loosing patience. I doubt kicking the bike over is going to prove much. If it was returning before it is highly likely to again.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

What Clive said. After my G80S rebuild it took about 2 minutes for oil to return to the tank and I had put some oil down the pushrod tubes through the tappet inspection cover.

Johnny B