Gearbox leak

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
SPRIDDLER

Re: Gearbox leak

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Steve wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:20 pm .....after dropping it in a car park tried to kick it over whilst on the side stand ........
:shock:
Shame on you.

No doubt you were keen to escape the embarrassing situation but It makes me wince whenever I see people mounted and starting their bike on the side stand. Too likely to bend the frame side rail or the stand arm, or wear the pivot pin. Neither the side stand nor owners are built for that.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Steve

Post by Steve »

1608 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:22 pm Forward roll? a few press-ups is de rigueur I believe when one takes a tumble in public. If you are going to the rally, have a good run.
Checked my 18s over and found the g/box deficient of approx 1/3 of a pint. Due to a drive side seal I believe.
Hi John
Yes I'll definitely be going to the rally just waiting on a replacement clutch leaver as the old one broke when trying to straighten it.
Steve

Post by Steve »

SPRIDDLER wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:46 pm
Steve wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 4:20 pm .....after dropping it in a car park tried to kick it over whilst on the side stand ........
:shock:
Shame on you.

No doubt you were keen to escape the embarrassing situation but It makes me wince whenever I see people mounted and starting their bike on the side stand. Too likely to bend the frame side rail or the stand arm, or wear the pivot pin. Neither the side stand nor owners are built for that.
I wasn't mounted when first trying to start it I was stood on the kick starter side and when I kicked it the pressure on that side tends to straighten the bike up that's when the side stand flipped up and as I was holding the throttle as the bike fell it pulled me over so I basically dived over the bike and instinctively went into the forward roll. And when I did mount the bike the side stand flipped up again before I resumed the starting procedure.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Steve wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 6:32 pm
I wasn't mounted when first trying to start it I was stood on the kick starter side and when I kicked it the pressure on that side tends to straighten the bike up that's when the side stand flipped up and as I was holding the throttle as the bike fell it pulled me over so I basically dived over the bike and instinctively went into the forward roll. And when I did mount the bike the side stand flipped up again before I resumed the starting procedure.
Apologies. I assumed you were having 'another of your Steve moments'. ;)
Steve

Post by Steve »

:rofl: I have so many moments it's a reasonable assumption
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

There is an unmentionable person making an unmentionable product that might save you from such a situation again.

At the rally ask for Clive Turner the adverts police officer and enquire where you might find this unmentionable person! Or simply seek out the President! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
bmarsha1

Post by bmarsha1 »

My AMC gearbox leaked, after 10 years eventually discovered the camplate oil seal was missing, there's one for the quadrant as well.
spookefoote1956

Post by spookefoote1956 »

I use Dynolite in mine
Hail Joe Lucas ............ Prince of Darkness!
All my bikes are original........ to me!
"Creativity is your intelligence having fun" Albert Einstein
Expat

Post by Expat »

So to return to original topic, as advised, the underside of engine and gearbox was thoroughly washed off using petrol to confirm shortly after, that gearbox is leaking from outer cover joint gasket. Not sure why this would be, new gasket was fitted last time cover was removed and hadn’t leaked noticeably until a couple of months into the extended lay up period. Guess like me, it’s got older and leaky.
Also got confirmation that there’s quite a leak from the engine crankcase joint adjacent to the drain plug. Oil level in the tank is very low and it’s not been run for over six months, so it’s wet sumped and there’s a lot of oil in the sump. Oil level in the primary doesn’t appear any higher. It’s definitely not the drain plug or anywhere nearby that’s leaking. This leak has been apparent for years but never seemed to be that bad. Gasket failure again??

Will remove gearbox outer cover and replace with new gasket, this time making sure pawl engagement is correct so to get rid of the false neutrals, hopefully! Crankcase though, is not getting split.
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Expat wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:44 pm
Also got confirmation that there’s quite a leak from the engine crankcase joint adjacent to the drain plug. ...........This leak has been apparent for years but never seemed to be that bad. Gasket failure again??
I've not worked on an AMC bike later than 1955 but on those singles a gasket isn't used between the c/case halves.