Polishing aluminum timing cover

Helpful information and requests for assitance and advice
Trefor

Polishing aluminum timing cover

Post by Trefor »

I've bought a secondhand aluminum timing cover and would like some suggestions for the best method to bring up the very dull surface to a reasonable shine. Not a mirror finish, and with just hand polishing.
SPRIDDLER

Re: Polishing aluminum timing cover

Post by SPRIDDLER »

This is available online (Amazon, eBay etc.) no doubt also in Australia and it seems to be far better than the common choice of Solvol Autosol.

Shiny Nick demonstrating it to Resto Ray at last month's Ardingly Classic Bike Show.
CIMG2628.JPG
CIMG2629.JPG
CIMG2630.JPG
Mothers.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Hi I use wd40 with scotchbrite pads starting with coarse, medium then fine . Plenty of wd40 liberaly applied.wipe with clean cloth between each grade .
You will be left with a dull disappointing surface . Polish with solvo autosol and watch the magic happen. Your choice then how bright you want to go .
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

If you get bored of hand jiving it...
Cut your scotch brite pads into discs or squares, stack them up, washer each side, M6 screw though the middle, couple of nuts and pop it in your drill.
Trefor

Post by Trefor »

Thanks for those suggestions- no need to reinvent the wheel!
magnusk750

Post by magnusk750 »

I use basically the same method as Chris the chippy, just that I use water instead, nicer to work with than smelly WD40 IMHO.
AndrewM

Post by AndrewM »

I use rectangles of 1000 grit wet-or-dry paper, backed by a hard cork block, lubricated with water with a few drops of washing up detergent added, followed by the same process using 2000 grit wet-or-dry paper (if you can find it). Then polish by hand using metal polish on a soft cotton rag. If you have done the preparation sanding properly it will polish up well in a matter of seconds
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Wd 40 was originally made for cleaning aluminium alloys.
jackstringer

Post by jackstringer »

ChrisTheChippy wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:49 pm Wd 40 was originally made for cleaning aluminium alloys.
There was me thinking it was for Water Dispersal
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Wd 40 was invented in San Diego in 1953 as a rust prevention solvent for atlas missle outer skins . A chemist at the rocket chemical company created a compound that would prevent rust and corrosion on the atlas. It did use a water dispersal formula but people started using it at home and found it had other uses . So yes you are right Jack,.. but it also makes a great cleaner for aluminum alloy.