Oil filtration

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
shaunstaples

Re: Oil filtration

Post by shaunstaples »

Yes Chris seen them, they seem to be what everyone uses, the only thing that puts me off is the inlet and outlet look like they are just straight tubes with no barbs to keep the pipes on, especially the inlet under pressure. Also might be neater with a banjo to be able to tuck into a corner.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Andover Norton do a kit or individual items for 3/8" and 1/2" hose the outlets have barbs, however I'm not sure the barbs are essential as the banjo on the engine that the pipe connects to is plain and these do not blow off if clamped adequately.
shaunstaples

Post by shaunstaples »

Thanks Duncan, will have a look at them. I was thinking the resistance of the paper filter will increase return pressure more than the standard filter, just seems good practice to have some sort of precaution to cope with aging pipes?
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

That was my worry increased pressure or lack of it because of the filter but having heard others experiences I am reassured. Last thing you want to do is fit an additional filter to try and improve things then find out you are starving the engine of oil in some way.
shaunstaples

Post by shaunstaples »

I think the gear pump will be easily capable of generating the pressure needed, and the filter area more than what’s needed for the mileage between oil changes. There are some smaller filters than the ones in the kit but threads are metric. These would be easier to hide, and probably be a closer match to the service length? I’m still searching and they have to be easy to get hold of at the right price.
It’s slow progress for me, just dipping my toe into screw cutting, I’ve managed a 3/8” x26tpi but my tool grinding is a “ room for improvement “ if and when I get somewhere nearer, I might have a go at making a filter head.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Generally the screw on cannister type filters have a sprung loaded bypass should the filter medium become blocked so in a worst case scenario you just cease to filter.
shaunstaples

Post by shaunstaples »

Looking at the kit at Andover Norton, it looks like the same casting as all the others I’ve seen, but the barbed pipes seem to have a slot in the end as though they screw in? Just wondered if the ones with parallel tubes are also screw in so could be modified?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I reckon you're worrying unnecessarily about it Chris.
The filter material, mounting body and feed/return spigots must be fine with the pressure in car engines for which they were designed, having rotary pumps and shell main and big end bearings.
(People also use them on singles with the relatively weak pressure pulses of the oscillating pumps).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ChrisTheChippy

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Thanks Nev .I guess I do worry but usually just when I'm moving into unknown ( to me ) territory.
I like to thoroughly get my head round what I'm trying to achieve and what the end result will be.
Posts on here have all been reassuring so I'm going to go for it.
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Hello Chris,
I mounted on my 1964 G12CSR a canister filter. You can see the photo "24 aug. 2019 - Canister oil filter-All twins".
It unfortunately appears upside down!
As you can see the filter is fitted underneath, using the rear mudguard bracket stud, so no mess in the tool box/battery carrier.
The kit came from ANDOVER NORTON, for 1/2 pipes. (20 £ + VAT in 2019)
I can send you photos by email if you wish.
I have precisely performed the oil service today: the cartridge is very easy to replace. It is identical to that of the 2 CV Citroen, or other small cars.
The assembling was easy with a few 90° barbed unions 1/2.
A great improvement totally reversible !
Kind regards.