Club Shop spares

General purpose topics/chat goes in here
croxford

Club Shop spares

Post by croxford »

Hi all
just a general query my elderly dad went to visit the club shop in Kettering to buy spares yesterday 17/08/2023 to be told he wasn't able to buy over the counter anymore as the club spares was only online (the person on the desk was only there to sort postal orders out).
Being a bit miffed he argued the case as he doesn't use computer and he wouldn't have a clue and that he had waisted fuel to go.
Is this really the case now or was he badly informed by the staff member.
if it is the case what is the point of having the shop it may as well be just a showroom . Well the club has just lost out on nearly £300 of a pensioners money to another well known amc store and very possibly a life long member of the club.
what about our elderly generation of people who are not online do we just forget about them.
Janet

Re: Club Shop spares

Post by Janet »

So you don't feel ignored by everyone, I will tell you that you're unlikely to get a response from the management in the next few days because this is the weekend of the Jampot Rally. In the meantime, I can confirm that your dad was told the current policy. I'm sure an explanation as to the reason will be forthcoming.

I'm somewhat elderly myself.
OEW591

Post by OEW591 »

That's not what it says on the Home page Janet. It still says Kettering is open for spares and bike sales from Monday to Thursday.

Perhaps they are short of staff?

I believe the 'Spares Guru' has moved on to pastures new following his tenure from January 2022 to earlier this year, although he remains a director and subject to a vote at the AGM, a committee member.
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

Surely such a change of procedure should have been put to the membership before implementation?
I purchased spares over the counter recently and was not informed of any forthcoming changes to procedure.
I have certainly not noticed any such dictat being published in the Jampot either and indeed, the front page of the current issue states “Call in person during opening hours. Or, on line at www.amoc-parts.com” which somewhat contradicts Janet’s assertion that the staff member was following current procedure.
With an ageing membership, computer literacy or confidence in on-line transactions cannot be taken for granted. Are those who do not own or are proficient in use of a computer now not wanted?
Will telephone orders also now be refused?
Recent committee meeting minutes detail refurbishment quotes etc for the building at Kettering, if the site is to be purely an on-line warehouse then why not sell the building and buy a shed to operate from?
The paucity, in terms of both quantity and quality, of the bikes offered for sale at Kettering would also bear this out.
Rally or not, someone from the management committee should apologise to your dad, here on the forum, for the shabby treatment that a loyal, long standing club member has received and clarify the situation for the rest of us paid up, long standing members.
Janet

Post by Janet »

I apologise and stand corrected.
I wonder where I got the wrong information from. Perhaps from the same place the person at Kettering did.
griffin

Post by griffin »

OEW591 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:47 pm That's not what it says on the Home page Janet. It still says Kettering is open for spares and bike sales from Monday to Thursday.
I personally would have phoned first just to make sure the spares dept was actually open on that day.
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
croxford

Post by croxford »

Thankyou for your comments
I am glad that we are not the only people to have been missed out on this publication of the spares going online only!!!
I to own a couple of AMC bikes and if i need a big order i normally get my dad to pop in the shop as he does live in Northamptonshire and he can make sure the parts are correct at the store, to save me returning the items if there wrong and waiting for a refund.
On another note if the club store is going online only at least have the common curtesy to let its members know a bit in advance.
Its ok for me i am of the younger generation who has been brought up in the digital age where as i suspect like my dad there are many members who enjoy the simpler older way of life and have no interest in computers, in part the beauty of owning such bikes as our own fixable with out the need of a computer.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

It is true that the vast majority of orders do come via online. However we still do and will continue to process orders over the counter, what we don't do is take any cash sales. The management will look into this incident on our return from the Jampot and are sorry that it occured.
Pharisee

Post by Pharisee »

ajscomboman wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:46 pm It is true that the vast majority of orders do come via online. However we still do and will continue to process orders over the counter, what we don't do is take any cash sales. The management will look into this incident on our return from the Jampot and are sorry that it occured.
Are card payments accepted at the counter?
I'm from the Fens.... Gimme six.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Pharisee wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:06 pm
ajscomboman wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:46 pm It is true that the vast majority of orders do come via online. However we still do and will continue to process orders over the counter, what we don't do is take any cash sales. The management will look into this incident on our return from the Jampot and are sorry that it occured.
Are card payments accepted at the counter?
They certainly are.