Help/Advice on Oil Plunger

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
Duncan

Re: Help/Advice on Oil Plunger

Post by Duncan »

MrGoose2U wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:14 pm So it is this item that I am potentially looking at?

https://www.amoc-parts.com//store/comer ... duct=20852

Just ordered a new plunger from AMOC spares so assume that if I buy both from them it will be the right fit.
You really do need to strip the engine to see what is damaged and what parts were fitted before ordering anything, even if the crankcases are pre 1947 later parts may have found their way into it.
56G80S

Re: Help/Advice on Oil Plunger

Post by 56G80S »

Support the above comments. Things get changed over time, there were changes to the oil pump plunger but also to the timing side axle, although I have no idea if the axles and flywheels are interchangeable I do know that the earlier axles and later timing side bushes are not interchangeable (and vice versa).

You will need to have the engine out and investigate. Money spent on parts without doing this could be down the drain. The correct year parts list is invaluable BUT only if all the machine is unchanged for it's year. This is very very rare.

I feel for you on this but see no other way forward.

Once you have dismantled parts in hand try searches on this forum for the problem, and look in Technical Tips to get a feel for what you have and what you need. Also search for Christian's Archives - viewtopic.php?p=251387&hilit=Christian% ... es#p251387 for a wealth of useful info.

Johnny B