Help/Advice on Oil Plunger

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
MrGoose2U

Help/Advice on Oil Plunger

Post by MrGoose2U »

Good afternoon all,

Hoping that you guys will save me some time with an issue.

After fixing the funning issues with a new carb, I discovered that the Oil flow was not happening.

Using the advice given on "Houston we have a problem" and others I started to check all parts of the il system. New Oil filter was still totally dry.

Removed Rank and tried to blow the pipes through (nothing). So removed the Plunger and screws and managed to clear the Pipes (yay) with a lot of force.

That is when I noticed that the Plunger has some damage to the Cog fins. (2 broken off).

So my questions are:
  • What is the chance something else is damaged?
  • What does this connect to, so I can check it?
  • What is the part(s) that I may need to replace, so that I can get this fixed ASAP?
Kind regards

Gareth
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve

Re: Help/Advice on Oil Plunger

Post by Steve »

OUCH and the shaft looks completely unmarked apart from the damage, gutted for you.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Just looked and it's driven from the timing side crankshaft, fingers crossed for you that the crankshaft is still OK.
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

The plunger is driven by the worm drive on the timing side axle.
IMG_20230723_150716.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

Your plunger appears brand new. Recently replaced?
The plunger and worm drive have changed over the years. They are not necessarily interchangeable. If the wrong plunger was fitted I imagine the result could look like what you have.
MrGoose2U

Post by MrGoose2U »

Ok thanks guys.

So I am going to take a rough guess that this is not a quick cover off type check....

Bugger.

I do not know if it was recently changed as I have just bought the bike.
MrGoose2U

Post by MrGoose2U »

So it is this item that I am potentially looking at?

https://www.amoc-parts.com//store/comer ... duct=20852

Just ordered a new plunger from AMOC spares so assume that if I buy both from them it will be the right fit.
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

Assuming your engine is pre 1947 and assuming it has the pre 47 flywheels and axle then the worm drive should be a single start.
Later engines have a two start worm drive, compare the pictures on amoc spares.
If you look up the bore the plunger fits into you can just see the worm drive. If you can see in enough detail to see if it is damaged or not... I don't know.
Is the plunger bore okay?
Two start plungers may be stamped 2S... I don't know if new ones are, is yours stamped?
IMG_20230818_170751.jpg
IMG_20230818_170920.jpg
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

viewtopic.php?t=30101

This thread shows a plunger with similar damage to yours... Caused by a new guide pin that was too long.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Your 1941 G3L should have the single start axle worm drive and single start plunger.
MrGoose2U wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:31 pm Removed Rank and tried to blow the pipes through (nothing). So removed the Plunger and screws and managed to clear the Pipes (yay) with a lot of force.
What came out when you cleared the blockage - steel bits/swarf from the plunger splines?
Which 'pipes' did you clear? The feed and return from the oil tank? I'd drain the oil tank and crankcase and check the oil and the filter for shiny bits and glittery steel dust.
  • What is the chance something else is damaged?
Quite high since the bits of broken plunger spline must have gone somewhere (unless an already broken plunger was fitted by the PO).
In addition the worm drive on the axle may be damaged.
Not to mention the steel swarf getting into the big end, timing side axle bush, main ball bearings and elsewhere.
Does the plunger have 2S stamped on one end?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'