Building a Scrambles G80 Bitsa

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
RichardS

Re: Building a Scrambles G80 Bitsa

Post by RichardS »

Can anyone tell me the correct length of the clutch operating pushrod for a AMC gearbox?

I have a pushrod, but it's way too long. I suspect it came out of a Burman CBP? (bigger version of the CP), but whatever the origin, it's a chunk too long.

TIA
-
Richard

For every idiot-proof solution there is an idiot greater than the proof
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

According to F.Neill 54-58 singles have 9 5/32" alloy pushrods. I can't find the clutch pushrod length but my 58 G11 is 9 5/8"with AMC box and clutch using 4 friction plates. You can cut yours to length and harden the ends.
Dave
RichardS

Post by RichardS »

dave16mct wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:31 pm According to F.Neill 54-58 singles have 9 5/32" alloy pushrods. I can't find the clutch pushrod length but my 58 G11 is 9 5/8"with AMC box and clutch using 4 friction plates. You can cut yours to length and harden the ends.
Dave
Yes, that's what I was planning to do. Just wanted a pointer so I didn't chop it down too much.

I (obviously) haddn't looked in the club spares list - thanks Spridler.
-
Richard

Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

Here you go...
IMG_20231112_174113~2.jpg
IMG_20231112_174125~3.jpg
If you can make head or tail of it. 🙃
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

The push rods that came with my bitsa ally barrel engine were a tad too long...
IMG_20230808_163911.jpg
I pushed them out of the top sleeve, shortened them a bit and made a couple of new sleeves at the same time as the originals very pitted and the hexes rounded off.

The couple of iron barrel singles I have looked in both had alloy push rods... Perhaps the alloy rods go with alloy heads?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RichardS

Post by RichardS »

Joker_Bones wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:04 pm The push rods that came with my bitsa ally barrel engine were a tad too long...IMG_20230808_163911.jpg
I pushed them out of the top sleeve, shortened them a bit and made a couple of new sleeves at the same time as the originals very pitted and the hexes rounded off.

The couple of iron barrel singles I have looked in both had alloy push rods... Perhaps the alloy rods go with alloy heads?
I'm really happy to see someone else who doesn't mind getting stuck in with a pragmatic view of "well it's buggered now, how much worse could it get?" attitude. Time was when I was rather too reverential of 'original' but I'm over that now. :D

I didn't realise it would be so 'easy' to push out the rod from the end or I would hve had a go at that. I may yet do so in view of the minimal clearance I have and if the valves sink significantly after some running I might just run out of adjustment.
-
Richard

SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

RichardS wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:39 pm Can anyone tell me the correct length of the clutch operating pushrod for a AMC gearbox?
Am I losing the plot here but on my screen Richard's asking about the clutch pushrod, not the valve pushrods. :?
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

RichardS wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:27 pm So what's the deal with Push Rods? I have seven to choose from and they're 3 different pairs plus a stranger....
Was asking after both. 🙂
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Joker_Bones wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:04 pm
Was asking after both. 🙂
Ah. I didn't go back a page so didn't see that the engine pushrods question had been posted. :oops: