Low compression - Head off

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Joker_Bones

Re: Low compression - Head off

Post by Joker_Bones »

EddieDay wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:38 pm The technique shown on this You Tube video helped.
I do like the Dick Casey videos... In this one he says something like "... and I'm just a little guy". Well, he must be a little guy with powerful fingers. Whilst I have managed to to install the valve springs by hand it was definitely at the cost of some bruised and painful fingers! The first spring is not too bad, but the second one is a different matter. Curiously, Dick doesn't show fitting the second spring by hand 🤔

This time I thought, I am not doing that again. Here is my home brew valve spring installation tool...
IMG_20230804_152508.jpg
IMG_20230804_152115.jpg
IMG_20230804_151855.jpg
Couple of bits of angle and a flat headed bolt... Just add mole grips. It honestly worked a treat 🙂
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
EddieDay

Post by EddieDay »

Joker, Yes I can see that will work. Dick's tool was also home made but he had welded a piece of tube to the shovel end. As I'll be fitting new springs I may need to make a tool as well.
Radcap

Post by Radcap »

The valve spring compression tool is available to buy ?
Just for future finger saving 🤣🤣
Well done so far with your home made tool.👍👍👍
EddieDay

Post by EddieDay »

My story of discovery continues. I did not really want to find the +0.040 stamping I saw on the piston after I de carbonised it. Can we go to +0.060"?
And I noticed that the inlet and exhaust valves are different lengths. The inlet valve is 0.105" longer than the ex valve. Now I don't know which is correct. The lengths are 4.072" and 3.967". I know the literature says that they are dimensionally identical. The lengths of both valves are the same from the face to the collet grooves. The inlet valve has a longer shaft from the collets to the rocker landing.
I have brain ache now. Time for a beer. :P :beer:
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

I don't have any valves to hand to check at the moment but if the difference is in the rocker arm end of the valve above the collects it could be an earlier type valve designed for a hardened valve cap.
Joker_Bones

Post by Joker_Bones »

That's how the valves were in my engine, different lengths above the collet grooves, I didn't measure the difference, but probably similar to the difference you describe.
The new Wassel Hepolite exhaust valves are specified as 4.06" long. The exhaust valve I removed and replaced was 4.08" long
Expat

Post by Expat »

Russell and Eddie, what a wonderful thing this forum is and its members too! I struggled and used many Anglo Saxon words while fitting the inlet valve springs just using fingers yesterday. I recall job was somewhat easier the first time around, though that was probably five or so years ago and fing(s)gers ain’t what they used to be. :roll:
I intended asking today what method(s) others here use and Shazam!…….some telepathic force came into play so now I have a couple of options.

Cheers guys and best of luck with your projects.
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
EddieDay

Post by EddieDay »

Steve,
I agree. It's a great forum and people are very helpful. I hadn't realised I could click on your forum name and get your details. We are the same age. Does the Hoorah bit mean you were a Marine?

Russel,
I see that the ex valve you removed was the same length, give or take a few thou, as my inlet valve.

General question. I sent an email to the spares guys on spares@jampot.com asking about the one type of valve they have in stock (is it austenitic SS and what is it stamped) but no reply yet. I am wondering if it is a monitored email inbox.
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Eddie, you could give Les at Russell Motors a try, problem is with him is that he’s not available all week.
Expat

Post by Expat »

EddieDay wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:37 am Steve,
I agree. It's a great forum and people are very helpful. I hadn't realised I could click on your forum name and get your details. We are the same age. Does the Hoorah bit mean you were a Marine?

Eddie,
Me, a Marine!! Nah, I’m just a Brit Expat, been over here fifteen years this month. The Hoorah is just another way to express Hallelujah, no more 9 to 5, or more precisely, 7:30 to 4:30.
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)