14CS Carburettor spacer(s)

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
mattward

14CS Carburettor spacer(s)

Post by mattward »

Hi All,

I have trawled the previous posts, and think I have a question that has not yet been asked, so would be very appreciative of any input. I am in the final throws of my 1960 14CS resto, and have found an interesting issue needing attention. When looking at the studs on the head which the carb is bolted to, I noted the PO had knackered one of the studs and replaced it with a double-ended 22tpi stud, (should be 22tpi into the head, and 26tpi for nut securing carb) which I will replace. I thought I best do my intel and looked at the parts book to check studs and spacer were correct, and what do you know, they were not. Parts book suggests 042187 x 2 for spacer(s), hmmm so studs have also been shortened by PO. I would be very grateful to know whether it is necessary to have the two spacers as recommended. This would make the total spacing distance 1 1/4" as each spacer of which I have one is 5/8" x 1 1/16" bore to fit 376 carb. This seems a pretty long distance for an intake... I have another corroded 14CS head with the correct studs present and they extend 2 1/4" from the head.

The other problem of course is that the spacer itself (042187), is nearly impossible to get hold of. Any suggestions for a potential supplier would also be awesome. :bow:

Any thoughts are much appreciated Cheers.
Matt