1946 head stock

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Tazmantic

1946 head stock

Post by Tazmantic »

So stripping down forks and head stock for various reasons and noticed a gap between top cover tube and handle bar lug on reading the manual apparently there was a modification at the end of 1942
IMG_2905.jpeg
Now where would the number be on the fork crown? because I can’t see a number on my fork crown but there is a part number cast in the handle bar lug would this be why there is a gap as they are not matched?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Everyday’s a learning curve.
Duncan

Re: 1946 head stock

Post by Duncan »

Hi Neil, I don't know what the change was but it would notionally only apply to the first years of the WD G3L bikes, that not to say that changes haven't been made over the years to your bike. The Fork cover tube cap fits to the top yoke and should cover the gap between the top yoke and the cover tube, there is a register on the top yoke that I believe can be can be lightly peened if the cap is not a tight fit.
Tazmantic

Post by Tazmantic »

Ok so I found and bought the correct matching top and bottom yoke (part numbers match) but I still have the gap???

On looking in the parts list for early 40s the bearings should be 3x std806 and 1x std805 but in late 40s it changed to 2x std806, 1x std805 and 1x 012620 now 3 of my bearings look about the same though 1 does seem a bit flatter on the back so could having a 012620 cause this gap and what is the difference between the std806 and the 012620 or should I pull the cap off the fork cover and just push it up to the yoke??

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Everyday’s a learning curve.
clive

Post by clive »

Those ball races look different to the later ones but the very bottom race looks similar to the later ones. I wonder if that may explain the gap? Thinking through what you have the steering is fine as it is managed by the ball races and top and bottom yolk whilst the fork stanchions sort the distance between the yolks at the ends. The problem with the gap is it will allow the top cover tubes to rattle. On some later models a rubber washer is used to make sure the fit is good. I would suggest you try a leather washer (or two or rubber) between the top cover and the chrome cover to take up the gap.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Tazmantic wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:15 pm
On looking in the parts list for early 40s the bearings should be 3x std806 and 1x std805 but in late 40s it changed to 2x std806, 1x std805 and 1x 012620
A propos of nothing in particular, but maybe the races were changed when Teledraulic forks replaced girder forks in the early 40's.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'